File and printer sharing on wireless network

Boingy 15:06 18 Sep 2006

Hi folks, need your help !

I have recently set up a wireless ADSL modem/router in my flat. I have a desktop and a laptop, which I've set up so they can now both successfully use the internet connection. I'm having a few problems though getting the two PC's to see each other, so I can file and printer share. My desktop uses windows 2000, and the laptop is XP.

I'm sure this is really easy to do, but I'm afraid it has got me beaten ! I understand I need to set them both up to see the same workgroup, and that the folders I want to share have to have the permissions set. I've done this but I still can't see each PC's shared folders from the other machine. Is there much else I need to do, or am I just being stuipid ? :-)

Thanks

skidzy 15:52 18 Sep 2006

This link may be of help click here

ade.h 15:52 18 Sep 2006

That's a big question, but it has fairly straightforward answers. Read through the threads in Networking, many of which have discussed share access in the last two weeks, then update us if you're still stuck.

skidzy 15:53 18 Sep 2006

And here click here

Boingy 16:35 18 Sep 2006

Cheers for the help skidzy & ade.h. I realise the question was a bit ambiguous, but I'm a bit new to all this networking lark. I'll look at the links later, and be back in touch if I'm still stuck.

ade.h 16:40 18 Sep 2006

click here if you need any definitions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone