File and Printer Sharing Problem

ollyk1989 15:06 26 Sep 2009

Hi All,

I am a fairly experienced PC User and have done plenty of web research regarding this problem before posting here, so apologies for taking up your time but I appreciate any help you can give.

What I have:

- Desktop PC running Windows Vista 32 bit Home
- Laptop PC running Windows Vista 32 bit Home
- Sagem ADSL Wireless Router from Sky Broadband
- EPSON multi-function printer

How it's set up:

The Desktop PC is connected via ethernet cable to the wireless router.

The laptop PC connects wirelessly to the router

The EPSON printer connects to the Desktop PC via USB

What I'm trying to do:

Print from the laptop on the EPSON printer via the Wireless router / Desktop PC

What I've already done:

Added both computers to the same workgroup, checked firewall settings (all in trusted zones), and ensured that networks are set to private. I have gone into the network and sharing center in Vista and created an access point to turn file and printer sharing on, and this informs me that everything is connected. I've shared the printer and have the two little heads in the picture thingy..

If I go to the network map on each computer it is possible to see the other computers, the router, and a switch. The switch does not exist physically, it is just on the network map.

So although that both computers show on the network map, neither show in the 'Network' section of Vista (accessed from the Start Menu). Just the computer I am using shows in this view, therefore I am unable to connect to my printer or public folders!!

Any help would be much appreciated as it's starting to get on my nerves now! Loads of people seem to be having problems with XP and Vista but this seems a bit different as they're both Vista! Thanks for your help in advance!

Olly

BurrWalnut 15:24 26 Sep 2009

On the laptop go to Control Panel > Classic View > Network and Sharing Center > View computers and devices (in the left pane) > Add a printer at the top > Add a Network, wireless or Bluetooth printer and follow the wizard.

Bear in mind that the printer and the PC that it’s connected to must be switched on, unless you have a ‘proper’ wireless printer/adapter.

ollyk1989 16:48 26 Sep 2009

Thanks for this, but it doesn't work, as supposedly I am not connected to the main desktop computer.

I am beginning to think there might be a problem with router settings as I can ping the router from either PC but cannot ping the other PC directly, leading me to believe there is an invalid setting there somewhere.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again for your time, and thanks to BurrWalnut for the suggestion.

Olly

BurrWalnut 18:43 26 Sep 2009

To accomplish sharing in Vista, you need to make sure that you have Network Discovery, File Sharing and Public Folder Sharing all set to ‘On’ in the Network and Sharing Center.

If you want to use passwords, you have to set up identical usernames and passwords on all computers in your network, otherwise set Password Protected Sharing to ‘Off’.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?