File MXUIShell.MXE randomly appears on desktop

juglans 20:42 24 Sep 2003

Periodically over the months a file called MXUIShell.MXE appears out of nowhere on my Desktop. If I click it, I get a message saying that the file type is not recognised. I run Win XP and also have TweakUI installed. Even though I delete this file several days/weeks later it re-appears! What is it, and what do I do about it -if anything?

Giggle n' Bits 21:51 24 Sep 2003

by running programme that has some relation of a macrofile/folder within and it is a bug within the softare.

I am unsure on the exact name but have a look at this link and you will seen listed in Rev v3.4 the revision corrected this bug.

So it looks to me like this download may fix it ?

Back up your pc if you try it.

Giggle n' Bits 21:57 24 Sep 2003

The link refers to a software called Macro Express which has a few bugs. Your problem being just one of them.

click here

The way I understand is there is a patch to install to correct this bug.

Hope this helps, but back up before taking on any downloads and pathces.

shapirojm 16:39 01 Oct 2003

Macro Express Knowledgebase

1. What is the file mxuishell.mxe on my desktop? Can I delete it? - Top

This file is not created by Macro Express. Even though it has a file extension of .mxe, it is not a playable macro. Because files with a .mxe file extension are associated with Macro Express, the icon for this file is a Macro Express icon.

Mxuishell.mxe appears to contain an error report caused when a program crashes. To find out which program crashed, open the file in WordPad (it may be too large for notepad) and look for "Faulting module is ..." You may find it says something like this:

C0000005 (ACCESS_VIOLATION), Address 01C72035 (01:00001035), Faulting module is C:\Program Files\Ontrack\Fix-It\RTFCtrl.dll

If you are using Macro Express v 3.0d or earlier, double clicking on mxuishell.mxe will cause Macro Express to crash. If you are using Macro Express v 3.0e or later, double clicking on this file will display a warning message.

You may be able to delete this file without problems. To be safe, you may want to move it to a different folder and see if there are any problems. If you do not have any problems for a few days, then delete it.

- Applies to all versions of Macro Express
- Updated: December 27, 2002

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?