File Management and Backup

gazmania 10:53 18 Apr 2006

After a recent bad experience I managed to restore my drive using Ghost 10. It took all night to restore 20gb used in a 120gb disk. I remember reading an article from a Microsoft professional sometime ago. He kept the System in one drive, Programs in another and data in a third logical drive. I would like to follow this method, but I do not know how to store, if possible, Documents and Settings in a different logical drive to the System. I think I can move Programs to a different drive using Partition Magic.
Can anyone advise please?

gazmania 13:33 18 Apr 2006

Does annyone have any experience on this subject?

terryf 13:53 18 Apr 2006

I keep only OS and progs on C drive, I set up folders called Dossier (for docs, txt, pdfs), Pics, Downloads, etc on a separate D drive. I always 'Save To' the relevant folder on D drive. I back up emails to the D drive using a program called EA8 that also backs up browser data. I use Acronis to backup a clean XP and programs from C on an ext usb drive. It takes about 15 mins to either save C as an image and restore C. About a minute to restore emails, etc Another 10 mins worst case to update AV, spyware definitions, Windows updates etc and I have a pristine installation. If I add programs, I do an incremental backup with Acronis.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)