File Length Query

utpc01 11:59 15 Feb 2005

I have a number of users who are recently having problems accessing files using MS Office products . They are storing files within folders and subfolders and its been suggested that the filename length is too large for Windows to handle . The problem is this only started to be a problem a couple of weeks ago , when i log in with Admin rights i can open these fields no problem but as an ordinary user Office (word or excel) hangs , to compound the problem 1 "ordinary" user has no problems whatsoever - , You can browse to the files via Explorer without any problems and open the files . My understanding is file length is restricted to 250 characters but does this include the preceding file extension eg\\data\managers notes\etc\123.doc ??
By the way this isnt a desktop issue as the 1 ordinary user can access the folder from any pc .

Fellsider 12:07 15 Feb 2005

You are saying that you, or a user, is having difficulty opening a word file greater than 250 characters?

I am currently looking at a file on my PC in word which is approx. 14,500 characters long and took less than a couple of seconds to open.

utpc01 12:26 15 Feb 2005

sorry if my post isnt clear enough .The problem is users are intermittently unable to access a particular folder ( within a few other folders ) which has many docs they use .Its been suggested that the combined file name of the docs within this folder is causing a problem ie :

\\data\dataplus\pcdata\etc\etc\......\dog.doc

its not the number of characters in the file its the actual file length that may be the problem .
It is accessible with full Admin rights but not as a User with r/w etc rights ( apart from 1 who is set up exactly the same as others )

Confused ?? u want to be sitting here !!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?