The file does not have a program associated.......

Zorgalite 15:33 22 Oct 2006

Hi all. I'm having "big" problems with my Dell dimension 5100. This morning it froze up and then Adaware flashed up asking if I wanted to block something which was trying to alter the reg, so I blocked them. After restarted, all the desktop icons had gone blank, and when I tried to open a program, I got the message "Windows cannot open this file, to open the file, windows needs to know what program created it, and the gives the option to choose from list or internet, etc etc (neither of which work).
So after fighting with it for a while, I decided to do a repair installation of XP, but even during this, the same message came up about not being able to open various files, including, fixmapi.exe, regsvr32.exe, rundll32.exe, mshta.exe, and the list goes on. I just had to ignore these requests, and carry on. But on completion, the problem was still there.
Luckily I am still able to access the Internet, and I read that a fix can be to re enter the missing file extensions (folder options/file types/ new). I did this for two of them which were deffinitely missing (EXE, and LNK). After this I managed to get my desktop icons back, but now when I double click on a program (even in the start menu/ all programs), I get this message; "The file does not have a program associated with it for performing the action. Create an association in the folder options control panel" I dont know what to do now, and would appreciate any help with this, as its doing my head in at the moment. Thanks.

Diemmess 15:56 22 Oct 2006

Just a guess. What anti virus and anti spyware have you and is it up to date?

SANTOS7 16:00 22 Oct 2006

click here
various options here,they may help..

Zorgalite 16:08 22 Oct 2006

Hi, I'm using free AVG, Adaware, and Widows Deffender, and they were all up to date as of last night. I'm still clueless.

Diemmess 16:11 22 Oct 2006

Some malware is only one possibility but you might try the free online check click here

Zorgalite 20:26 22 Oct 2006

I'm still having no joy with this damn thing.
The only thing that I can do with the comp at the moment, is get on the internet. I cant even open outlook. Cant go to the "help and support centre" to do a system restore (even from, all programs/accessories/syst tools). Every single program on the comp, which I try to open, I just get the error message "The file does not have a program associated with it for performing the action. Create an association in the folder options control panel" and I dont know what to do. What does it mean? I would appreciate any help please, as I soon won't have any hair left.
Regards.

VoG II 20:30 22 Oct 2006

Try here click here and repair .LNK and .EXE

Zorgalite 20:31 22 Oct 2006

I still cant use any programs on my comp (apart from it seems, internet explorer. With every single one, I get the message "The file does not have a program associated with it for performing the action. Create an association in the folder options control panel" I am really stumped and dont know what to do. Please, any help would be apreciated, thanks and regards.

SANTOS7 20:31 22 Oct 2006

click here

exe files are corrupt the link may help

SANTOS7 20:32 22 Oct 2006

silly me for not lookin up the page a tad..

Zorgalite 20:48 22 Oct 2006

Yes, I have had a look at click here but am not really sure how to go about it. Could anyone maybe explain a little bit more about the procedure, as I dont want to mess things up more than they are already (although I think that would be quite hard to do)
I did try the ZIP file one which is a reg file, but even with that, I get the message "Windows cannot open this file, to open the file, windows needs to know what program created it". I fear that I might need to wipe everything, to resolve this problem, but I have a certain amount of data on the computer which I dont want to loose.
Thanks for all responses so far by the way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?