File deletions

baldyx 00:38 14 Dec 2006

How can I make sure that when I delete file/s or folders, they are completely removed from the hard disk?

Thanks for any suggestions.

terryf 01:00 14 Dec 2006

When you want to delete a file, you can press shift and then press delete to stop them going into the recycle bin, to go further you need a file shredder for which you should do a google search

Jak_1 01:03 14 Dec 2006

In short, you can't. However there are programs that will make it difficult for overwritten data to be recovered. it all really depends upon why and what you need to remove securly. Eraser is a good program and will do the job admirably, you can probably find it on a few PCA disks if you have kept them. For most of us that is all that is needed. The only surefire method of destroying data from a hdd is to destroy the drive.

Belatucadrus 01:05 14 Dec 2006

click here Eraser
click here Ultrawipe.

baldyx 20:19 19 Dec 2006

Belatucadrus thanks.
I am using ultrawipe now.
My query is how about the files I have deleted in the past,i.e. past few months for example ? Are they still on my hard disk & can they be retrievd by someone?

Belatucadrus 23:09 19 Dec 2006

Items that are deleted are all recoverable until something else is written over them. In order to eliminate these files, open Ultra Wipe, click on "Advanced functions" In the new window, click the drive you want to clear and then select "Wipe free space". This will write several layers of random gibberish over any of these files, making recovery by anything short of a forensic lab impossible.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone