File deleted in error

Abel 09:01 22 Nov 2006

I've inadvertently deleted a Lotus 123 file recently. Is there any way that it can be recovered using whatever facility may be available within Windows XP Pro SDP2?

Abel

Diodorus Siculus 09:06 22 Nov 2006

You can't do it with just XP tools; a free option is PCInspector which you can find at click here

VoG II 09:06 22 Nov 2006

Look in the Recycle bin.

Or try click here - run it from a different drive e.g. a floppy.

Diodorus Siculus 09:07 22 Nov 2006

click here
Drive Rescue v1.9d too

wotbus@ 09:20 22 Nov 2006

No. Whatever you do, do not change the HDD image. (CCleaner, Defrag, System File Restore etc) or Install/Uninstall anything. Try to use the PC as little as possible until you are ready to recover.
Handy Recovery is excellent and will do it for you, but I must emphasise, do not change the status of the HDD if you value the file ;-)
click here

Abel 15:35 22 Nov 2006

Diodorus Siculus.
I'm having trouble with the PC Inspector programme you suggested. I've downloaded it OK but I'm afraid I don't find the interface too friendly. Not savvy enough I'm afraid.

Also, both VoG™ and yourself suggested the alternative Drive Rescue. However, VoG™ recommended running it from a separate drive such as a floppy. Now, I don't have a floppy drive and for whatever reason I can't copy the programme to a CD. Clearly, I'm doing something wrong. I will grately appreciate further guidance from either or both of you.

Abel

Diodorus Siculus 15:50 22 Nov 2006

click here for restoration; it is fairly intuititive.

Abel 16:09 22 Nov 2006

Diodorus Siculus, now that's my kind of programme! Downloaded it, found the missing file and restored it. My very grateful thanks!

Abel

Diodorus Siculus 16:27 22 Nov 2006

Good news; thanks for the feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?