file corruption, installation, CRC errors

metrules 02:59 12 Mar 2005

as of yet i have not found any help with this problem.

when i download winrar(latest) i get the following:

"some installation files are corrupt. please download a fresh copy and retry the installation"

on certain random cds/dvds that i try to install i also get a file is corrupt error.

when i did have winrar installed before i recovered my system i could not extract files from .rar folders...i got a file corrupt error along with crc (which i understand to be cyclic redundancy check).

this is my second base unit.

all that i have done above has been carried out successfully on 3 other different pcs and notebooks so i am 90% sure this is just my system and not a corrupt cd or downloaded file.

my pc is less than 2 weeks old and i have had an engineer out twice from pcworld where i purchased as well as a base unit change.

my first base unit had the above problems as well as 3 'faulty' drives (by this i mean the engineer replaced the drive twice and it was faulty, it disappeared from myComputer, wouldnt open etc..)

i was wondering id there is anyone out there who can help me with this problem?

my pc model is a 3GHz philips free-line MT1100

thanks in advance for any suggestions

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:42 12 Mar 2005

Try a repair of XP first.

Type SFC /SCANNOW in the run box

XP will scan and replace missing/ corrupt files you may need the XP CD in the drive if not preinstalled in a partition on your hard drive.

metrules 12:56 12 Mar 2005

hi...i ran the scanfc thing you told me to and although it exited without a problem, everything seems to be working fine.

when the pc was bought though everything was working fine...i have not got a chance to install anything really so why do u think this happened?

again thanks for your help

metrules 13:02 12 Mar 2005

the winrar installation problem only appeared after i recovered the system to factory settings

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:44 12 Mar 2005

sfc doesn't tell you if a file was corrupted it just replaces it automatically.

You probably did have a corrupt file that has now been replaced. Possibly a standard DVD/CD driver file.

byfordr 11:27 13 Mar 2005

click here

Tells you about CRC errors.

R

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?