File associations...

martjc 11:35 30 Jul 2006

...recently my computer has been giving the "Windows cannot open this file...choose a program from the list to open it with." message.
The files I am opening are simple jpg files and when I choose f.i. Windows file and fax viewer, they open with no problem.

I have made sure the "Always use this program..." box is checked, but Windows seems to forget every time.

Most annoying, but I'm sure there is a setting to stop this somewhere - just can't find it.

Anyone help?

celticbhoy0 11:55 30 Jul 2006

goto control panel - folder options - file types,
and then select the file type and use the change option to select the program to open with.

martjc 18:23 30 Jul 2006

...makes no difference. Windows seems determined to forget its file types. Any more advice available please...?

VoG II 18:25 30 Jul 2006
  martjc 19:53 30 Jul 2006

...will try that, but don't think it will help somehow.

To explain further - it's not just picture file associations that are lost - also mp3 files are not recognised. Haven't tried others so far but I think it is something more intrinsic.

I'll try to repair Windows from the disk.

martjc 20:30 30 Jul 2006

Tried that prog.. Got error msg. "Invalid root in registry key -hklm "???

martjc 20:47 30 Jul 2006

...but now this gets even weirder. I usually log on as default - Administrator. This is when the problem occurs. If I log on as #my name# - everything seems to be fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?