Fibre optic broadband

luvgadgets 10:25 25 Oct 2014

I have recently changed my broadband to TalkTalk fibre optic. They have supplied me with their 'super router' which isn't so super with regards to speed and virsitility. I want to change it but I'm confused. Do I need a router and a modem or just a router. I have done a bit of research and I think I need an FTTC router? Do I need a modem to supply the router? I've always bought Netgear so maybe someone could recommend one? Confused.com mother of 4!! Please help?

spuds 10:55 25 Oct 2014

Before purchasing your own equipment, don't you think that it might be best to contact TalkTalk support, if their supplied product is not producing the results you are expecting.

If the speeds are not to your satisfaction, then if TalkTalk quoted a speed, them you might have redress on the problem. If you change equipment, then TalkTalk might insist that they can offer no support on a product that they have not recommended.

luvgadgets 11:04 25 Oct 2014

It's not just that, the router they have supplied is not duel band which I found helpful before. I've also read the reviews for the router they have supplied and they are poor, hence, my desire to buy my own router.

Woolwell 11:18 25 Oct 2014

Have they supplied the correct router because according to their site Talktalk it is dual band.

john bunyan 11:37 25 Oct 2014

I had a look recently as I am with ADSL with Talk Talk and considered a change. This is the router I would have bought:

Netgear Nighthawk R7000

What speed are you getting? I had a great fuss with them on my "up to 8mbps" (not, of course, fibre optic)which dropped to 3 and they blamed me - in the end it was the line and I now get 7 - 9 mbps but had to escalate the complaint to the next higher level.

alanrwood 12:47 25 Oct 2014

I would certainly sort it out with TalkTalk first and once you have the speeds you are paying for then you can consider a new modem/router if you then feel it is necessary. Certainly I would follow up on what Woolwell says above about it should be dual band

lotvic 13:26 25 Oct 2014

Talktalk 'super router' - It would seem you have one of the new breed of routers that integrates VDSL (no separate modem)

some of the options are discussed on ispreview.co.uk ClickHere

"But what if you want to buy your own VDSL capable router and plug that into your connection? ISPreview.co.uk has shortlisted a selection of such devices below and summarised some of their key details to help you make a decision.."

luvgadgets 11:17 26 Oct 2014

Thank you so much for your replies darlings.

You have put me on the right track.

I purchased a Netgear Skyhawk router yesterday as the PC World adviser told me that I didn't need a separate modem with it... WRONG!!! At £150 it needs to be returned asap!!

I purchased a Netgear Skyhawk router yesterday as the PC World adviser told me that I didn't need a separate modem with it... WRONG!!! At £150 it needs to be returned asap!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?