Feedback welcome

slowhand_1000 12:47 29 May 2003

Any feedback would be welcome on my site. The main reason being that friends and family are sometimes a wee bit frugal with the truth.

click here

Yes it is my own business and no I am not after free advertising. Right that is that out of the way lol (only joking).

I have used Dreamweaver MX and Hotmetal Pro, as some editing aspects I found easier in Hotmetal. If it's of any use to anyone thinking about starting a site. I found Hotmetal a very good program to start with, though limited in some fields. Once I had an idea of how things worked it was not to difficult to get to grips with Dreamweaver. Though I do feel a quick browse through a simple HTML manual would help a lot.

Well done to PCA for including a forum on Web Design,I am sure there will be plenty of postings in this new forum.

And to anyone thinking of starting a site, go on have a go. There are plenty of good sites giving help and guidelines out there, plus this new forum.

cheers

slowhand

texasdave 12:51 29 May 2003

I like your design, very nice. I also use Dreamweaver MX, its amazing, makes life so much easier compared to notepad. Then for graphics i use Fireworks MX. But anyway, the only thing i would maybe like see changing is to move the side bar with the navigation up maybe a bit more, so that it almost touches the blue bar at the top. Just a suggestion. Nice job!

Dave

slowhand_1000 15:15 30 May 2003

texasdave

yes see what you mean, so I have moved the nav bar up a touch. It does not look so lost now.

cheers

Forum Editor 20:12 30 May 2003

site. Well done slowhand_1000, I can see that you've worked hard to produce this.

You asked for feedback, so here it is:

1. I was amazed that a print company didn't have a single image on the site - apart from the top banner. A few well-chosen, high-quality images would transform this site from a good one to a very good one.

2. Your home page is untitled. This means that a browser returns it as an "Untitled document", which doesn't look good when your visitor has several IE windows open. If I look down at my taskbar I see a list of 5 Internet Explorer windows. All of them have names, except yours.

3. The site has quite a few typos and slightly clumsy sentence constructions. It needs editing for readability. I'll do it for you if you like - there's not a great deal of text; let me know if you would like me to edit it for you.

SafeHaven 23:14 30 May 2003

I am on adsl however i'll take into concideration traffic but It seems a litle slow to laod also when I went to close it froze for about 30 seconds. Also did't get any sound but 8/10 I have seen much worse.

User-312386 14:05 31 May 2003

the navigation bars are a bit low, when you click on Print and it expands, i feel that i have to look down a little lower to see if there is anything there.

Apart from that Great site

slowhand_1000 18:56 31 May 2003

Thanks for the pointers and advice everyone.

FE

1. Having not long set up the business on my own money was a tad tight. I am in the process of gathering some royalty free images to put on the site.

2. Oops, see how the simple things are missed. I know I had page titles on the original site, but after many versions I seem to of ommited the titles. Amended pages now uploaded.

3. Copywriting has never been my strong point, so any suggestions are more than welcome. In fact I found that part of the project the hardest part, harder than learning DreamWeaver.

SaveHaven

I just hope it was traffic. I am on b/band and after clearing the cache it loaded in about 5 seconds. That was one of the main reasons I have tried to keep it free from 'flashy' bits and pieces.

madboy33™

I have moved the nav bar up a little bit as texasdave had also picked up on it. Maybe it needs to be moved up a bit more. But I was trying to keep it lined up at the top with the text section.

Once again many thanks to all for the input. I must admit I was a wee bit wary of asking for members opinions, but I thought I would bite the bullit. The replies as usual from this forum have been great, good constructive pointers and advice.

slowhand

Forum Editor 23:59 31 May 2003

I've edited the site text for you. I hope it's of some help.

slowhand_1000 13:01 01 Jun 2003

FE

Mail gratefully received. I should have gone to a professional in the first place :-)

Reply in the post, along with the commission lol.

Thanks again

slowhand

Forum Editor 13:33 01 Jun 2003

I hope the site succeeds for you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires