Feedback on Driver Download Packages

23790954 13:42 02 Aug 2008

Hi! there,

Although my desktop computer is in good working order, like lots of you, I like to build and repair desktop computers, as a hobby, and like to keep my pc up to date. For curiosity, I have run several driver scans on my system, in the last few weeks, and on each occasion, they reveal that several drivers require updating, to keep my system in top condition. My question is: How reliable are these companies who offer driver downloads to people who subscribe and pay a small fee to download their drivers?
Has anyone out there tried them, and are they any good. I do not mind paying if the company fulfils their obligation and all missing/updated drivers are available. I would NOT like to pay, then find out that some of the drivers they say require updating, are NOT available in their service. As an O.A.P I can do without that.
If you have payed for and used such a driver download programme, I would be glad to hear of your opinion, before I proceed with any definite subscription.
Many thanks for your feedback on this matter.

Clapton is God 13:52 02 Aug 2008

"How reliable are these companies who offer driver downloads to people who subscribe and pay a small fee to download their drivers?"

Have you looked at the various manufacturers sites? In general they offer the latest drivers free of charge.

23790954 17:44 02 Aug 2008

I appreciate that drivers can be downloaded for free, through the various components websites, but if the driver download websites were found to be competent with their downloads, it would be worth a few pounds, to be able to scan a system, and download all necessary drivers from the one location. I would still like to hear from anyone who has actually tried these driver download websites.

birdface 17:58 02 Aug 2008

From another thread.maybe find out what the special price is and where to get it.click here

Sea Urchin 18:07 02 Aug 2008

I have used driveragent.com for a number of years - I paid a one-off (lifetime) fee at the beginning, and I have always found them to be very good. You can try it out for free and scan your PC, but you would not be able to download the suggested drivers without paying the fee. Of course you can do that, and then do as CiG suggests and download the recommended drivers from the manufacturer's sites.

23790954 18:38 02 Aug 2008

Many thanks for your feedback, Sea Urchin, I do fancy paying a fee, probably to driverguide, so that I can download all the required drivers for my families computers, from one website, instead of searching numerous sites. I was slightly concerned that after payment, I might have found that all the drivers were NOT available from that particular website. In general would you say that most drivers are available.
Thanks for your information.

Sea Urchin 19:50 02 Aug 2008

I've not used driverguide, but certainly on the one I use they've always had the selected drivers available.

Stuartli 20:13 02 Aug 2008

I've never paid to obtain drivers from DriverGuide, nor do I have any intention of doing so. It's an American habit to pay for Bios updates etc.

See:

click here

Stuartli 20:16 02 Aug 2008

Also see:

click here

If you are dealing with Dell systems, see:

click here

birdface 18:33 13 Oct 2008

There is this free one that i have used with no ill effects. click here

woodchip 18:46 13 Oct 2008

Sometimes you are redirected to Manufacturers site from DriverGuide so No point unless you are looking for obsolete drivers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?