Fed up with Pipex

Martin12 18:33 22 Feb 2009

Ok Pipex I give up!!

I have reported to Pipex that my download speed drops significantly at exact time of the day, from 7Meg to 200K. This is always from 3-50pm until 2250pm exactly.
After them denying this, they eventuly admitted "thottling", but were suprised about the speed difference.
So they fixed it and it lasted 1 week and now its back to the set times of slow speed.
I accept speed will vary as the use of the net goes through the day, but not a 95% drop!!!!

Anyone else with simular Pipex experience?

I am thinking of going to ADSL 2 on BE, anyone had any experience of this company?

sunnystaines 20:02 22 Feb 2009

did you ask them why they dropped your speed.

RobCharles1981 20:07 22 Feb 2009

I won't blame you for moving Martin.

What does Samknows Say You Can get at your exchange? Please post the results back here:

click here

What is your modem/router - I can get your line stats to see what speed you can get.

Martin12 20:13 22 Feb 2009

Below is from SAM knows:

The following services are available in your location:

BT Wholesale ADSL
BT Wholesale ADSL Max
O2 / Be LLU
TalkTalk (CPW) LLU
Virgin Media (Cable) may be available

Router is a Zyxel P-660HWP-D1 ( Very happy with this unit)

PS - The reason for the reduction was "to share out the use", fair enough, by a 95% drop!!

RobCharles1981 20:45 22 Feb 2009

I'm unable to provide a link for your router line stats can you post them up??

Martin12 22:08 22 Feb 2009

I not sure what you mean by router line stats.

Sorry, can you explain.

LastChip 22:23 22 Feb 2009

I was a long time customer from the days when Pipex were Pipex. Since Tiscali took them over, it was downhill all the way for me.

I recently changed to o2 and can't recommend them highly enough. click here for a blow by blow account of the changeover and incidentally, I'm still trying to resolve a billing issue with Pipex some six weeks after I terminated my contract with them. It would be helpful if they would answer my emails!

Make of that what you will!

RobCharles1981 22:29 22 Feb 2009

Your Line Stats will show you current Line Attenutation your downstream and upstream ect. You should be able to have a sniff around in your router setup page???

audeal 11:57 23 Feb 2009

Martin12: Yes, get rid of them, I did so a year ago and never regretted one moment of it. I was with Pipex for many years and like LastChip says it has gone down hill ever since, in fact I would say it has hit rock bottom.

john bunyan 12:38 23 Feb 2009

I would have moved from them, having been with them for about 12 years. However since just before Christmas spam has completely stopped and speeds are about 3.5 to 5.8 Mbps vs the 8 target - not too bad. I agree with the others re service but as I am on a one month rolling contract with them will stay for the monent - will only change to another that offers a) UK tech back up, b) One mont rolling contract. Even the best can get worse and I hate one year contracts.

Martin12 21:26 23 Feb 2009

Using tiscali/pipex speedcheck and BT own, I am getting 340K download now 2115hrs.

Earlier today I was getting 6.5mg

I have done Be linecheck and they are quoting 15mg for my line.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017