Fear of Forms

slightlymad 01:35 26 Feb 2006

I have no understanding of scripts, and I would really appreciate an Idiot's Guide on how to process my first form (modified from a template and not yet finished). I know that I have a cgi-bin, if that's of any help...

click here

Marie

Forum Editor 14:46 26 Feb 2006

which is a script that takes the data from the form fields and saves it on the site, or sends it to an email address,or both. You will have to edit the script to include your specific parameters.

If none of that makes any sense, post back and we'll approach things another way. Which software are you using to design your site by the way - it looks to me as though you're using a template.

slightlymad 15:32 26 Feb 2006

Thanks, FE. Yes, I am using a template, which I'm modifying with Dreamweaver.

I have another website click here which I'm using as my 'playground' while I'm learning CSS, but the site in question needs to look more professional than my efforts to date. The template is one of Paul Dell's (whose plight djinn alerted us to in an earlier posting click here) and is so much better than anything I'm capable of doing right now.

Now I'm going to complicate things... I'm not happy with my current host (e-places), so the new site will be moved to a different host (Heart Internet, as it happens, following your recommendation).

In the meantime (and while I'm pondering on a domain name) I want to continue working on the new site, and I'm keen to learn how to process forms.

I can't get at the e-Places control panel - I've been trying to access it for a week now, and still haven't received a reply from e-Places as to why the URL timing out. But I can see from SmartFTP that the cgi bin is empty.

Too much information, right?!

Marie

Forum Editor 18:15 26 Feb 2006

I have some spare domain names in my reseller account (which happens to be with heartinternet), and if you're stuck I'll 'lend' you one for a while until you're sorted out. You would have a fully-featured control panel, complete with form-mail script, and you could play about to your heart's content.

Once you've got yourself organised you can simply transfer your site across to wherever.

Let me know if that would help, and I'll set you up on the server, send you your login details and away you go.

slightlymad 18:47 26 Feb 2006

Fantastic! Thank you so much, FE. I can't wait to play!

I promise to be very quite and to vacate the premises as soon as I'm set up.

Lemme at it!

Please.

Forum Editor 18:49 26 Feb 2006

I'll set you up with a domain name and email you with the login details.

Then it's all yours until you want to go elsewhere. You'll have a fully-featured business account, so lots of gizmos to play with.

Forum Editor 19:04 26 Feb 2006

you have mail.

Good luck.

slightlymad 19:25 26 Feb 2006

I'm in...

Wow - this control panel is SO much easier to understand than e-Places... and there are so many toys to play with!

I've looked at the scripty stuff and I think I understand it!

Me very happy.

Thanks again, FE.

Marie

Forum Editor 19:29 26 Feb 2006

I'll look forward to seeing the site when it's ready.

mco 19:48 26 Feb 2006

FE's so kind, isn't he?!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?