Fear 32 GB HD will eventually give up

loquito 10:12 01 Sep 2006

Fear 32 GB HD will eventually give up

I have an 8 years old PC, manufactured by a company that went bust. It has an HD IBM 32 GB Deskstar. I don’t have problems of storage. My first concern is that the present HD will eventually crash and I want to buy a Hitachi Deskstar 40 GB to replace it. I would like to make this 40GB the Master and the old one (32 GB) the slave or disconnected. (The main purpose is to give the 32 GB HD a rest)

My questions are: Can I do this? Will the present BIOS recognize the 40 GB HD? Will the BIOS recognize only 32 GB? Can I set manually the 40 GB HD to 32GB? Do I need something else?

It appears that I am unable nowadays to order a 32 GB HD for my PC.

Any help much appreciate it.
L

X™ 10:14 01 Sep 2006

Hmm, I'd use the 40GB as the slave, just keep say My Documents on there, and all your important info on there, and use the 32GB til it goes.

loquito 10:20 01 Sep 2006

I though that the Master HD will have the booting software. If the 32GB goes then I will be unable to boot the PC.

L

X™ 10:21 01 Sep 2006

Yes, but you will have to reinstall Windows either way.

loquito 10:36 01 Sep 2006

If I do a copy disk (from the old HD to the new HD) the new HD will have the BIOS software plus all the Windows software and perhaps I do not need to reinstall Windows when the Old HD goes.

I still will like to know if a 40GB HD will run smoothly in my PC without the 32GB HD presently in my PC.

X™ 10:41 01 Sep 2006

Yeah, true. The 40GB, should just run, if not, you may need to reset/configure the BIOS, as long as the connection is the same, it'll run.

DieSse 10:53 01 Sep 2006

*Can I do this? Will the present BIOS recognize the 40 GB HD?*

Maybe - maybe not - you won't know until you try it.

*Will the BIOS recognize only 32 GB?*

It doesn't work like that - it'll recognise either all of it or it won't.

*Can I set manually the 40 GB HD to 32GB?*

Quite possibly - many drives have a jumper to limit them to 32GB. The specification for the drive will tell you.

*Do I need something else?*

Many manufacturers supply (free) utility software to fool the system into using the whole of the drive. The Seagate utility works fine - the Hitachi one (if it exists), I don't know about.

My recommendation. Get a Seagate 80GB drive - the extra capacity will cost little or nothing extra. The Seagate Disk Wizard will set it up to work to full capacity for you, if it won't work anyway.

Make sure you get a 7200rpm drive. Make sure you have an 80 wire IDE cable - if not, then get one. Both of these measures will improve performance in certain circumstances.

As you sensibly suggest, use your old drive as Slave. Their Disk Wizard will also transfer your whole drive contents across to the new drive to allow you to use it as the Master, bootable drive.

De Marcus™ 10:58 01 Sep 2006

Why 40gb? Can you even buy a 40gb drive anymore? If you can I suspect an 80 or 100gb drive is just as cheap. Use it as a the primary drive, it's likely the old one is a 5400rpm or god forbid a 4200 rpm drive, whereas any new drive will most likely be 7200rpm. A lot faster. You can use backup software to clone the original and install it on the new drive so it becomes the main c: drive.

Then again, by the time you've spent all that money your halfway to buying a brand new base unit, from as little as £150 + del from click here or £200 click here (not inc vat+del).

loquito 10:59 01 Sep 2006

The "reset/configure the BIOS" is my major problem. How do I do this? I know that a 80GB HD will need an update BIOS but this is a bit complicated. It may do the job or damage your PC.

I will be quite happy my BIOS only recognize 32 GB in my 40 GB HD. Can this happen?

De Marcus™ 11:01 01 Sep 2006

You could always install a pci ide controller, which has it's own bios, so no size limitations in that respect.

DieSse 11:38 01 Sep 2006

*The "reset/configure the BIOS" is my major problem. How do I do this?*

You don't have to do anything to the BIOS - who said you do?

*I know that a 80GB HD will need an update BIOS but this is a bit complicated.*

With respect you don't know this until you have tried it. And I told you above how to use software to aviod having to do anything to the BIOS.

*I will be quite happy my BIOS only recognize 32 GB in my 40 GB HD. Can this happen?*

No - I already said it doesn't wotk like that. It will eother work with the full capacity, or it won't work at all (which also means it could do incorrect things).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone