fdisked hard drive, disks for msdos 6.2 won't run

grungie 17:06 22 Mar 2004

I am going to give my old pc to a friend, so I fdisked the drive to ensure all private data deleted. When I went to install dos 6.2 had message of system not known! what version of dos do I need and how can I purchase it?
All I want to do is to install windows 95 along with relevant drivers for cd drives etc.
Thanks

Diodorus Siculus 17:23 22 Mar 2004

Have you formatted the hard disk? Use a Win98 boot disk from, for example, click here and then try to install DOS - it should go on. If not, can you post back the exact error message.

Diodorus Siculus 17:29 22 Mar 2004

By the way, if you boot with the win98 bootdisk recommended above, you should be able to install Win95 without first putting on DOS.

The BB 17:55 22 Mar 2004

Daft point, but I assume you've set the active partion up after FDISKing and you should then be able to boot from your floppy (provided the BIOS has that as an early boot device - which it should have if you've FDISKed from floppy) and format and install.

Installing DOS 6.2 from floppy requires a SYS C: and then just copy the files over ....

grungie 15:32 28 Mar 2004

thanks for all the response, I managed to sorted it myself by luck. The dos 6.2 disks I had did have the full version on it as fullsetup.exe. So all been done.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone