Fdisk and formatting in XP help needed :)

Wulfrune 11:06 25 Apr 2003

Can anyone send me a link to a site which might give me a step by step guide to Fdisk and formatting in XP, or maybe you're smart enough to tell me how to do it.....I don't believe it, i can build my computer; but I don't know how to Fdisk and formatting in XP.....I hold my head down in shame :)........many thanks in advance....Wulfrune

barrie_g 11:10 25 Apr 2003

if its a new hard drive xp will give you the option to format when you install it, just boot from the cd.

if its not a new hard drive again just boot from the cd and opt to do a clean install and delete the partition and then format.

there is no option to fdisk with xp as it does not recognise dos.

jeez 11:14 25 Apr 2003

I'm not sure if xp has fdisk, but here is how I always do it. I boot with an old win98 startup disk (make sure you have fdisk on the disk). Use fdisk to create/delete/modify my partitions and then just insert the winxp cd and xp does the rest. Someone may know of an easier way, but I have used this method countless times and it's never let me down. Hope this is of some help.

temp003 05:42 26 Apr 2003

Basically follow barrie_g's advice.

Sounds as though you have not installed XP yet.

Restart computer with the XP CD, making sure that in BIOS, the CD ROM comes before the hard disk in the boot sequence.

In some computers, when it boots from the CD, a prompt will appear asking you to press any key to boot from CD. Get ready to press a key.

Files will start loading from the CD. When the XP Welcome screen appears, press Enter to enter Setup. Press F8 to accept licence agreement. If you are asked, choose the option to install a fresh copy of XP.

Your hard disk will be shown, with information on partitions. If no partitions exist, it will all be unpartitioned space.

You can then use the Up or Down key on the keyboard to highlight or select an existing partition or unpartitioned space, to do what you want.

A new disk may come with a single partition taking up the whole of the disk. You may want more partitions. If so, delete the partition first.

To delete a partition, highlight it, and press D to delete. Confirm the deletion.

If your disk is an old disk and you want to start anew, you can delete all existing partitions one by one.

Then highlight unpartitioned space, and press C to create a new partiiton. Then specify the size of the partition.

XP Setup is mainly for setting up the partition in which XP will be installed. After you've installed XP, boot into XP and use Disk Management to create further partitions.

But if you want to create further partitions you can do that now as well. The advantage of creating partitions now is that the partition drive letters will take precedence to the CD ROM drives when you finally boot into XP.

In XP Setup, you don't need to specify the type of partition (primary, extended).

After you're done with partitioning, highlight the partition (usually first partition) in which you want to install XP, and press Enter to install XP to that partition.

You will be asked to format it with FAT or NTFS. Choose your file system.

After formatting, installation files will be copied to the partition, after which the computer will restart. This time, the computer will need to boot from the hard disk, so if you get a prompt to press any key to boot from CD, do NOT press any key.

When the computer restarts, you will get to a graphical interface, just follow the prompts.

After installation is done, you will boot into XP.

You can then create further partitions if necessary. Right click My Computer, select Manage, and select Disk Management. On the right, in the lower section, you will see your hard disk (above your CD drives). Right click the unpartitioned or free space and select create partition, and follow the prompts to create the type of partition and to format the partition.

Alternatively if you have previously created further partitions in XP Setup, they will be shown in My Computer or Disk Management. But they will not have been formatted. Right click the partition and select Format and follow the prompts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?