Fdisk drama. Mistakenly chosen Fat16

raytriplej 11:19 19 May 2006

Hi,

I have been asked to sort out a friend's computer after his sister tried to rebuild it and failed.

Old system; Win 2000 failed due to power surge.

New MB/Processor/Ram/Hdd. His sister tried to re-install windows 2000 and failed and promptly gave up.

He decide to go to XP, tried to install it and failed. Then called me.

Over the phone diagnosis is hard but I managed to get him into Fdisk. In F disk it appears he has many 2 gig Hdd's instead of his new 80Gig. This makes me think it is formatted in Fat 16. BUT..... when f disk starts he is not given the choice of large disk support any more, ie Fat32. Any ideas how to get this page to choose large disk support to re-appear.

I would prefer him to use NTFS which I assume you can choose when XP loads itself and doesn't use fdisk. But we need to get rid of whatever his sister managed to do with 2000 and fdisk before.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Ray

Smiler 11:39 19 May 2006

try her click here for info

or use this
click here

Smiler 11:45 19 May 2006

Also this click here courtesy woodchip click here

ed-0 11:48 19 May 2006

Even if you fdisk, but there is no need to use it.

Just boot from the win2000 cd and start a new installation. You will be asked which drive you want it on, just select each partitioned drive and pick D to delete the partition. You can then rebuild the hard drive, ntfs if you want( still in windows 2000 setup) to the size you want "C" to be. If you do not want to use the full capacity, you can then work on the remainder of the hard drive in disk management of windows 2000.

It works exactley the same way as windows XP;-)

ed-0 12:00 19 May 2006

D to delete partitions click here and the c to rebuild. pick the file format click here

from click here

phil46 13:35 19 May 2006

You should have no problem reinstalling W2000 or XP AS ed-0 has stated but if you do for what ever reason all you do is use fdisk select display partitions to see what you have on the drive it it is dos then delete that partition
put your W2000 or XP disk in and the rest will be done for you you will require your MOBO disk and other driver disks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?