faxing from PC using XP home

Boy Zone 20:59 06 May 2007

I'm trying to send a fax, have installed the component but when I try to review the fax prior to sending it wont let me carry out this operation.
It keeps stating it's looking for an application, any idea what application it needs?
I think it will send a fax but I need to check the fax before it's sent.

Any suggestions please

woodchip 21:06 06 May 2007

First to use a XP computer to send a Fax. You need a Dial-Up Modem with Fax software. Hears the Software Free click here The Modem should be connected to the phone line side of the filter

Boy Zone 21:24 06 May 2007

could not open this program.
Woodchip, I have used XP fax before, and it meets my needs, but it's the review of the XPfax I want, I like to see the fax before I send it off.

phono 21:29 06 May 2007

What exactly does the error message say when you try to review the fax?

Stuartli 21:32 06 May 2007

XP offers the Windows Pictures and Fax Viewer.

If you wish to read up how to use it, go to Help and Support (which is provided for such purposes!) and key in Fax.

Go to Seeing Images with Windows Pictures and Fax View>Related Topics>WPFV overview.

Stuartli 21:34 06 May 2007

Boy Zone states he is using the XP Fax Console already.

Windows has always had an excellent fax program - I used Windows Messaging for many years with 98SE, which was laid out in exactly the same manner as Outlook Express, making it easy to use.

Boy Zone 21:35 06 May 2007

this operation could not be completed.

History, I did have photoshop installed and when I tried to review the fax it opened photoshop, which is very strange...!!! I unistalled photoshop just to see what happen and guess what I now get the top message.

phono 21:40 06 May 2007

Photoshop obviously had "taken over" the file associaton for the format in which the fax is saved, I believe it is normally in TIF format for a fax.

You could always reinstall Photoshop or associate another program with TIF files, providing of course it is the TIF file format.

phono 21:42 06 May 2007

Instructions on how to associate files with a particular program at click here

acxxxx 22:29 06 May 2007

Is along time since I sent a fax from a computer but if you can try this. Save a test fax to your desktop (or a folder where you can find it). Try to open this file - if it doesn’t have a program associated with it xp will give you the option to find a program to open it - choose 'Select a program from the list' scroll down to 'Windows Picture and Fax Viewer' highlight this program (if its the one you want) check or uncheck the 'Always use the selected program to open this type of file' box (that bit is your choice) click ok, you should be able to see it then.

woodchip 10:13 07 May 2007

You can see the Fax in Bitware, It saves a copy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?