Faxing with Broadband

Confused! 14:29 21 Nov 2005

I managed to fax pre braodband with the internal modem. Since BB I have tried but nothing seems to work. I am using Windows XP and have MS fax console appearing on the desktop. It seems to be configured to use the interal modem but ........please help

MoiraB 14:34 21 Nov 2005

Have you left the internal modem cable connected to the phone? I think you need to as the fax goes via the modem and not your broadband connection

Confused! 14:36 21 Nov 2005

yes - I have taken the cable from the modem to the telephone bit of the splitter

Stuartli 14:47 21 Nov 2005

Strange, as your arrangement should work i.e. dialup modem connected to the telephone line.

Hamish 14:51 21 Nov 2005

Broadband does not support faxing Look at this post click here

Also consider here click here

Confused! 23:05 21 Nov 2005

I am not trying to use broadband to fax - just want to use the old dial up modem to do it ..............

johnem 23:10 21 Nov 2005

Confused!,
You may find that the BB connection has become your default, thereby preventing your internal modem from working, especially if the "connections" selection has the "Never dial a connection" radio button activated.Try selecting "Only dial if network not present"

Confused! 21:47 24 Nov 2005

Where do I find the 'only dial if network not present'? Not sure where I should be looking - sorry

wots it all about 21:51 24 Nov 2005

I am probably wrong (usually am) but if the line has been BB activated, can it still be used for dial-up? I was told it operates on a different "frequency" so you cant use dial up to fax? Just a thought.

woodchip 22:03 24 Nov 2005

As above Make sure in Internet Otions Control Panel connections is not set to never Dial a Connection

woodchip 22:05 24 Nov 2005

PS Fax Software should handle it from that

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone