is a fax modem the same as a voice modem?

joziegb 21:48 15 Apr 2008

my father in law has a new acer laptop and it has on in an hd audio soft data fax modem with smart cp can i use this as a dial up modem to go on the internet he is using windows vista (basic) tried for hours to get connected only to be told EVERY time it cannot find a dial tone all connections are set up properly - please help before I tear my last handful of hair out

MAT ALAN 21:56 15 Apr 2008

1. Check your modem cable is securely connected to both the modem and the telephone socket on the wall.

2. If you have voicemail on your telephone system and have a message waiting, the dial tone will not be the standard tone the modem expects. Pick up the message so the dial tone reverts to a standard constant tone.

3. Check you do not need to dial a prefix to reach an outside line (if you do, enter this number in front of the number to be dialled in the connection window).

4. Check your phone line will work with a normal phone and phone call.

Stuartli 21:56 15 Apr 2008

You can certainly use a fax/data dialup modem to go surfing.

You probably need to configure the modem to Wait for Dial Tone and also ensure it's set for Tone rather than Pulse. One other key point is to ensure that the modem is set for the UK (many are US models and that is the Default).

Also, have you installed the modem drivers?

woodchip 21:59 15 Apr 2008

You can use it to make normal landline calls. but not over broad band

joziegb 22:05 15 Apr 2008

thanks for your help the only thing i have not done out of all that is ticked the box to say wait for dial tone ! The laptop is brand new checked modem property it says the driver is working properly arrrrrggg only thing thats bugging me is this modem is only stated as a "fax modem" is that really just a dial up and not only for faxes (? doh?)

woodchip 22:05 15 Apr 2008

For internet you need to setup a dial-up account

joziegb 22:10 15 Apr 2008

i have gone through vista help and set up his existing account word for word and also set up several others it looks like its connecting then says no dial tone detected

DieSse 22:18 15 Apr 2008

Are you in the UK?

Is there a second socket on the modem that you can plug a telephone into, and listen for a dial tone?

Can you check out the cable/socket for a dialing tone with a regular phone, as suggested above?

DieSse 22:19 15 Apr 2008

"is this modem is only stated as a "fax modem" is that really just a dial up and not only for faxes (? doh?)"

Yes it really will be a regular modem and not just for faxes.

joziegb 22:24 15 Apr 2008

yep in uk the modem is internal and there is only 1 port for the phone line to go in, i have checked for dial tone oh you know that noise you get when you are dial up connecting all that buzzing well i dont get that (and yes my speakers are on lol) its just silent

woodchip 22:29 15 Apr 2008

This is the kind of account, not VISTA. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?