Fax install in XP

njmt7 11:41 16 Aug 2006

I am being asked for SP2 CD - when I put this in the CD drive it is not being read (OK beeps when I click it). I do not know how to find the file it is looking for. Help anyone? I do not have the original XP install Disk.

vinnyT 13:40 16 Aug 2006

You could try click here, CallCenter fully supports Windows XP, it's free so you have little to lose.

I don't use it myself so cannot comment on its use.

Hope this helps.

Simsy 16:36 16 Aug 2006

do you have? Is it a "restore" disc?

Regards,

Simsy

Stuartli 18:21 16 Aug 2006

Go to Add/Remove Programs and open up Add/Remove Windows Component. Check the Fax box.

njmt7 15:21 17 Aug 2006

yes I have followed all the add new windows component wizard - then it asks me to put in a Service Pack 2 CD - but when I put this in it doesn't seem to be be recognised.

njmt7 15:22 17 Aug 2006

No - what I have is the SP2 CD (Service Pack2) that it is asking me for.

Stuartli 15:38 17 Aug 2006

If you have a fax modem installed (you can't use broadband), double click the Set Up Faxing option you should find in Printer Tasks in the Printer and Faxes folder and then access the Fax Console.

Or have a look at these links:

click here

click here

click here

njmt7 15:51 17 Aug 2006

Thanks for taking so much time and trouble. Whichever route I go I am asked for the blasted SP2 CD that it does not recognise!!!

I have resolved it by installing some third part software. Many thanks.

njmt7 15:52 17 Aug 2006

Installed this and it seems to work fine. Many thanks.

vinnyT 16:03 17 Aug 2006

Welcome.

Simsy 17:11 17 Aug 2006

in your first post, "I do not have the original XP install Disk.", and subsequently you said, "what I have is the SP2 CD"...

I guessing here, but what I think had happenned is...

Your original installation was an early installation of windows XP... Then you got an SP2 CD and installed SP2...

Your windows installation now considers itself to be a Windows XP SP2 installation...

When you try and install the fax component and it asks you to insert the "Windows XP SP2 CD", what it is really asking you for is the WINDOWS cd. Because you have subsequently "upgraded" to SP2 when it asks you to insert the Windows CD it asks for the SP2 version by default.

If I'm correct in guessing what's happened there would be a problem anyway as you "do not have the original XP install Disk."

I know this doesn't solve the problem, but I think it might explain it. Assuming that you have a folder on your C drive called Options/Cabs directing the installation to there might have worked.

Apologies if I've completely misread this... but if I haven't then it might help someone else!

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?