Fax Facility

osben 10:48 25 Mar 2009

Hi everybody
Whe I had a 3com external moden, I had software supplied with it to also enable me to sen and receive fax's.

I dont use that anymore and just use a BT Voyager 100 to enable me to connect via broadband.

This has meant that I no longer have the fax facility.

I am probably a bit thick here but is there any way I can use the existing modem and some software to enable me to send and receive fax's again. I dont send many fax's so some free software if necessary would be great.

Any help would be appreciated

Regard

Clapton is God 10:51 25 Mar 2009

If you're using XP, it has its own built-in fax facility

Clapton is God 10:53 25 Mar 2009

But don't forget - you can only use a dial-up modem to send/receive faxes

Stuartli 11:42 25 Mar 2009

Don't know about Vista, but all Windows versions up to XP have their own fax application.

Windows Messaging was perhaps the best of the lot as it operated in the same way as Outlook Express, so was easy to use and configure; XP has the Fax Console, but you may have to use the installation disk to install it from Add/Remove Windows Components.

As Clapton is God rightly states, you need a fax/modem to use a fax application.

There are, of course, alternatives such as fax-to-e-mail and e-mail to fax services, which means broadband can be used. Some examples:

click here

click here

click here

Many more.

osben 14:04 25 Mar 2009

Hi

Thank you guys for your prompt reply.

I will look into what you have suggested. It look as if my question has been answered.

Thank again

Regards

osben 11:41 01 Apr 2009

Hi again

I went onto MS site and followed the instructions on how to enable and configure the fax service. I installed the fax facility off my Windows disc.

I then started the Fax Wizard but it wanted to know where my modem was. According to the fax setup wizard, I did not have one.

I am using a BT Voyager modem connected via USB2 which is working correctly otherwise I probably woudn't be able to use this forum.

When I look in my control panel at "phones and modems" nothing appears to be there. However if I look in network connections, the BT Voyager modem is there under the heading of dial-up.

Has anyone got an answer as to how I can sort this problem out. I don't want to use a third party as you suggested Stuartli but thanks for the info anyway.

Regards

Clapton is God 13:19 01 Apr 2009

The BT Voyager is an ADSL modem, not a dial-up modem.

Depending on the set up used by different ISPs, some ADSL (Broadband) modems are actually referred to as dial-up modems in 'Network Connections', just to confuse you!

You'll have to purchase an external dial-up modem.

Sea Urchin 13:43 01 Apr 2009

Most PCs used to be built with an internal dial-up data/fax modem included by default. But since the proliferation of broadband usage this is no longer the case.

Clapton is God 13:51 01 Apr 2009

"this is no longer the case"

And a backwards step, IMO. ;-((

Stuartli 14:06 01 Apr 2009

>>some ADSL (Broadband) modems are actually referred to as dial-up modems in 'Network Connections', just to confuse you!>>

That's because they are/can be set up in the same way as a dial-up modem in Internet Explorer>Tools>Options>Connection tab>ISP setup..:-)

The only difference is that you select ADSL rather than dial.

I stated in my posting above about fax to e-mail and vice-versa services: "..which means broadband can be used."

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?