Fax

Bald Eagle 07:16 11 Dec 2007

Running Vista Home Premium, is there a Fax facility with this program? If so how do I enable it? Tried following Help guidelines and not getting any relevant answers.

BE

€dstowe 08:27 11 Dec 2007

I've found that Windows FAX, on whatever version of Windows, is more trouble than it's worth.

Unless, or until, FAX is enabled to operate directly on a broadband line (unlikely as it's such an old technology) you are going to need a dial-up modem on your computer. These are becoming quite rare now.

The alternative is a dedicated FAX machine or use a FAX service company which is fiddly and involved and not really worth the trouble.

You can get multifunction printers with a FAX facility at a quite reasonable cost. You can use these either through your computer or independently (thus more convenient). In addition, you don't have the potential problem of having a dial-up modem attached to the computer with the danger of unknowingly downloading things you would rather not have into your machine.

anchor 09:25 11 Dec 2007

Personally, I think a dial-up modem is very useful to have. It enables you to access the internet if/when your broadband connection goes down; plus, it makes it easy to send faxes.

€dstowe solution is sound, but means you have to buy an new piece of equipment. If you don`t have a dial-up modem, they are quite cheap.

(N.B. Make sure that Vista drivers are available).

You could then use something like SnappyFax to send your faxes. This costs only about a tenner.

click here

Bald Eagle 16:10 12 Dec 2007

Thanks for all the advice. Sorry about the slow reply but I've been to Lancashire!!! Spoken by a Yorkshire lad!!!

BE

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?