Favourites list keeps changing!

Pine Man 19:20 10 Nov 2006

XP SP2. AV, firewall, Defender, Spybot, Spywareblaster - PC clean! (I think)

I noticed yesterday that about six items on my 'Favourites' list on IE6 had disappeared. I returned the list to its original state from an Acronis back up but an hour or two later some were missing again.

There was a populated favourites folder at C:\Documents and Settings\My Name\Favourites & C:\Windows\Favourites. Both appeared to be different.

I copied a new set of favourites from the Acronis back up to both of the above folders and checked IE6 and that had the same list as Documents and Settings\Favourites folder but the Windows\Favourites folder was now empty.

I am not sure what is going on and not sure of the reason for different locations for Favourites folders with different contents.

Does anybody know where I can get info on this subject?

GaT7 19:43 10 Nov 2006

I've heard of Firefox's bookmarks disappearing, but not IE's. Apparently it does happen though - try unticking this box in IE's Advanced options click here, & check to see if it still happens. G

Pine Man 11:31 11 Nov 2006

Thanks for the response Crossbow7. The box you refer to is already unticked but I haven't lost any favourites for a while now so I'll tick this as resolved.

Pine Man 19:50 21 Nov 2006

I have just installed Tesco Internet Security and apparently it didn't like some of the names I gave to my Favourites Folders!

For example it kept deleting 'Shopping' but when I changed it to 'Retail Therapy' it didn't delete it anymore!

Tesco (Panda Security) are aware and looking into the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?