FAULTY POWER SUPPLY ?

LEGGGGY 12:47 14 Aug 2004

I have the chance to purchase a Medim AMD 2800+ with good spec, however seller says it keeps shutting down which he believes is down to a faulty power supply. Is this an easy and fairly cheap job to do ????

Devil Monkey 12:54 14 Aug 2004

That shutting down may also be caused by overheating; check the temps in the bios. If it is overheating the processor may get damaged.

I would be keen to discover the cause of the shutdown before purchasing the machine.

It should be easy to change the PSU but there is a chance that the medion has a mobo which is specific to ifself and therefore standard components cannot be used.

My advice would be to get the owner to sort out the problem and then pay a little more with confidence.

Chegs ® 12:56 14 Aug 2004

If it IS the PSU,then its a few multiplugs and a few screws to swap.A new PSU can be bought for approx £20.

If the PC keeps shutting down and it ISN'T the PSU,you could be letting yourself in for a whole heap of trouble(maybe cost more than just a new PSU)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?