Faulty HP Laptop AC Connector

Dirty Dick 13:55 27 Feb 2007

In July 2004, I bought an HP pavillion laptop, whist over in New York. Withing the first 12 months it had a problem with the AC Power conncetion at the back of the machine. It was eventually repaired under HP's GLOBAL warranty.

Unfortunately I have just tripped over the power lead and the connection is very loose. I have telephoned a local company that repairs Laptops and have been quoted a price of 182 pounds.

Does anybody know if it would be difficult to fix the problem myself? It seems that it is only the connector loose on the motherboard. If I need a new connector, does anybody know where I can get one from? OR does anybody know where I can get it repaired a lot cheaply?

Thanx

DD

oldbeefer2 14:04 27 Feb 2007

If your power supply is low voltage from a transformer and you only need to change the coax socket, I would have thought it would be straightforward (as long as you can access the motherboard). Usual care to heat-sink any vulnerable bits when using the soldering iron to resolder/replace socket. £180 odd quid sounds a ripoff!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:04 27 Feb 2007

The cost is mostly labour, to strip the laptop to the point where you can resolder or fit a new DC adapor is very time consumming, never mind build it back up again.

click here

£111.63 click here

From £75 click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:07 27 Feb 2007

You have obviously never tried to strip down a modern laptop.

I agree £182 does sound steep for a £10 jack and a bit of solder.

;0)

oldbeefer2 14:10 27 Feb 2007

FB - did have a go at my daughters with some success with a similar problem. Your link looks useful though - £75 is a bit better than £182!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:13 27 Feb 2007

Not easy is it? and at aprox £30 an hour labour charges you can see why it mounts up.

Dirty Dick 16:30 27 Feb 2007

.... looks like I'll be stripping it down this weekend, but does anybody know where I can get hold of :-

(1)The "10 pound jack"?

(2) Any kind of diagram of the inside of the laptop

wjrt 17:32 27 Feb 2007

click here

try maplin or radio-spares for the jack

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:35 27 Feb 2007

manuals click here

Jacks click here

once you know which one it is try a local electrical / TV repair shop or Maplins

Dirty Dick 13:50 03 Apr 2007

...... I have stripped down the Laptop and attempted to re-solder the faulty power connector. I could see that the solder connection had broken, and thought it would be an easy job, not so. There were lots of other problems found under the cover, so a decision to put the Laptop to sleep, and invest what would have been a lot of money into a new Laptop. Thanx for everyone’s help
DD

Hness 21:04 11 Sep 2007

Hi there, I have a Pavilion Laptop and the connector kept fusing today. You mentioned that you had yours repaired - I am trying to find warranty details on HP's site to no avail - can you help please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?