Faulty hard drive swap to backup

spencerfrater 09:33 24 Nov 2014

My primary hard drive is failing. It is fully backed up onto an installed backup hard drive. How do I make the switch to boot up and run from the backup drive, so that I can remove the faulty hard drive?

Batch 09:39 24 Nov 2014

When you say "it is fully backed up onto an installed backup hard drive", how has that backup been created?

Also is the computer a laptop or desktop?

spencerfrater 09:43 24 Nov 2014

Desktop. Backup created via Windows 7 automatic backup on a regular basis. Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:30 24 Nov 2014

This is only backing up files not the op system.

you need to make an image or clone of your drive to another drive (image to installed back up drive- clone to a new dive).

Macrium Reflect is free and will do it for you. Another way is to clone only the restore portion of the drive to a new one change drives and do a factory reset from the new drive then re install all you backed up files

spencerfrater 10:56 24 Nov 2014

Thanks. What use is the backup on the backup drive then... What if the original drive had actually completely failed?! Can I make the image onto the existing backup drive? Thanks for your help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:12 24 Nov 2014

If the original drive failed you you still have your datadoc pictures etc.) but not the op system and programs.

Yes you can make the image onto the existing backup drive but you will need to replace the old as soon as possible.

spencerfrater 11:14 24 Nov 2014

I've just checked the backup. It does automatically create a system image, (as well as the data file backup).

If I physically swap the faulty drive for a new one, will it use the system image from the backup drive to boot up next time I switch on?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:05 24 Nov 2014

No the image is just an image and will need restoring to a new drive.

spencerfrater 12:27 24 Nov 2014

OK. So do I need to connect up the new drive before disconnecting the failing one - which means I will have 3 drives connected: the failing one, the backup, and the new one?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:35 24 Nov 2014

Personally I would attach the new drive and Clone the old one to the new one, this would ensure I get the hidden system restore volume copied across (so you have all windows backup and repair tools + any factory reset images.

You then just swap drives by connecting the new drives SATA cable to the port where the old drives cable is and check it boots from the new drive.

spencerfrater 13:52 24 Nov 2014

Thanks FB - I'm busy cloning now

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?