Faulty goods and repairs

  ICF 18:07 02 Sep 2009

I want to return a motherboard because it's faulty.The motherboard was delivered on the 25/08/09 and the request for an RMS number was sent on 28/8/09

They tell me it is going to be sent to Asustek in Germany for repair or replacement can they do this?
Can I ask for my money back.

  ICF 18:43 02 Sep 2009

Soz I posted in the wrong forum.Should be in Consumerwatch

  john bunyan 19:10 02 Sep 2009

No, if really faulty your contract is with the seller, not Asutek. You can ask for a new one or money back. (as long as you havent damaged it!!)
Quote Sale of Goods Act.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?