Faulty DVD Drive

Simmpy 13:29 12 Nov 2006

I have an Evesham computer with an internal Sony DVD CD drive. Whilst trying to burn some files from my hard disk to a DVD (Pinnacle Instant DVD software) everything locked. I couldn't open the drive to eject the DVD. The orange LED continually flashes.

I managed to manually extract the DVD and close down all the software. However on restarting the drive is still flashing and I still can't open it. I've tried all the troubleshooting but nothing works. The drive is 3 years old, has it just given up the ghost?

Thanks

Simmpy

Technotiger 13:54 12 Nov 2006

Hi, I think you will find that on the front of the drive is a small hole - the sole purpose of this hole is to enable the drive to be opened in an emergency, by using something like a straightened out paper-clip, which should be pushed gently into the hole to release the drive tray.

This is only a last resort - have you tried right-click on drive icon and then left-click on Eject from within My Computer?

Cheers.

Koochy 13:56 12 Nov 2006

You could try uninstalling the drivers for the drive then reboot your computer and XP should automatically detect the drive and reinstall the drivers.

Koochy

Koochy 13:57 12 Nov 2006

I am just presuming you have XP sorry.

Koochy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?