FAULTY CPU - PC WONT START

bazz34 21:30 16 Oct 2008

Hello

I have a Windows XP Home SP3 machine. My pc was working this afternoon and I was watching TV when the computer decided to turn off. I switched it back on tonight and the light around the on button flashed on and then went off and nothing else happened. The fans work, no noise from the hard drive and all the DVD drives open.

I have removed all the DVD drives, the hard drives, and the floppy drive to see if it might be some sort of hardware conflict, but to no avail. I removed all the RAM memory to see if I could at least get some sort of display on the screen and still nothing.

The only thing left in the case is the motherboard and CPU. Which would I be best buying. Or could it possibly be the power supply??

Any help u can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

jimv7 22:09 16 Oct 2008

I would try another psu first, then think about the mobo and cpu if it failed to work.

Strawballs 22:10 16 Oct 2008

Is it onboard graphics or a card?

bazz34 22:11 16 Oct 2008

its on board

Strawballs 22:15 16 Oct 2008

I would see if you could get a cheep card and try that.

bazz34 22:17 16 Oct 2008

i dont think that is going to work because there is no noise from the hard drive and i have another pci gfx card as well and already tried that and still nothing.

Technotiger 22:18 16 Oct 2008

I agree with jimv7 - check out the PSU first!

woodchip 23:50 16 Oct 2008

Yep PSU as Died, fallen over, Dead, kaput.

bazz34 00:12 17 Oct 2008

so buy a new power supply??

But the fans and stuff switch on

Belatucadrus 01:39 17 Oct 2008

Problem with duff PSUs is that the failure frequently isn't boolean, ie working/not working there are shades of failure where the power output drops to a point where while it may spin the fans it's not up to much else.
Unfortunately as you've already realized it's not the only potential source of your problem and it 's likely a case of keep plugging away at it until you find the culprit, but as has been said PSU is the most likely starting point.

Shuffty 11:37 17 Oct 2008

A decent psu will cost around £40 or more so go and buy a cheap multimeter for around £8 and test the voltages then if the psu is faulty you will still have a usefull tool in the multimeter

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?