Faulty compact flash card

grumpy-git 00:15 11 Mar 2010

It failed to display images when I tried to view them on my Canon EOS SLR.

I can't access the images via a pc as the flash card does not appear in windows explorer.

I've contacted the manufacturer, who has offered to replace it, but I was wondering if it should be possible to retrieve the images?

It's not worth paying for retrieval of the images, as their value would not be high, but should I just accept a replacement or "hope" the manufacturer will try to retrieve them for me?

Camera is OK & works well with other cards.

g-g

mole44 06:26 11 Mar 2010

If you have ccleaner (Google it)click on the pear (top right) download and run recova,that should do the trick.then format the card in the camera and see if the card now works.ccleaner is a good program used by many of us to remove the crud that cloggs up the system.

hssutton 08:56 11 Mar 2010

I assume you have tried viewing the contents of your compactflash via a card reader and also via the camera/USB? If this is the case. accept the replacement and move on.

Just as a point of interest, if you do manage to view the card on the pc, format it there at Fat 32. It will not damage compactflash cards. I always (unless in the field) format my compactflash for my Canons via the pc. (SD cards should always be formatted in camera)

Depending on the card capacity compactflash cards are now very cheap, so it's not worth keeping one that could could cause trouble at a later date

grumpy-git 19:14 11 Mar 2010

Thanks for replies.

Tried reading card in a couple of Canon cameras, also tried via card reader in several computers.

No problems with any other cards.

Looks like I've lost those images, will go for a replacement card.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:46 11 Mar 2010

Floppy recovery
From cfc msticks smartmedia etc.
Smart recovery click here
zero assumption click here

CampicRestor click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:46 11 Mar 2010

Floppy should read File :0)

grumpy-git 20:09 11 Mar 2010

Thanks Fruit Bat, but I think I'll give up on those images.

I'll mark as resolved.

grumpy-git 00:12 29 Mar 2010

The manufacturer offered to replace the faulty card, so I sent it off & now have a replacement.

g-g

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The 12 best apps for drawing and painting on your iPad

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?