Faulty on board Video

new user 283 14:37 30 Mar 2007

A friend has an old Time computer with a AMD MS 5191 Motherboard with on board graphics.
Due to rough handling the video output socket has broken off and no longer works.
I put in a PCI graphics card (no APG slot), but the computer will not display, presumably because it is trying to access the on board card.
How can I disable the onboard video if it no longer works.
Any ideas appreciated

Hackwatch 14:41 30 Mar 2007

When the PC starts up you need to get into the BIOS to disable the On-Board graphics.

new user 283 14:51 30 Mar 2007

I cant access the bios as there is no diplay at all

Technotiger 14:58 30 Mar 2007

Hi, have you tried pressing Del during the startup process - this is how one would normally get into the BIOS.

new user 283 15:09 30 Mar 2007

yes I have tried this, the screen just stays blank.
I Know the pci card works because I have tried it in a different machine

Technotiger 15:15 30 Mar 2007

Hmm, could be something other than, or in addition to, the video output socket - perhaps internal damage. Rough Handling? was it dropped or what - if so might the mobo itself be kaput?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:21 30 Mar 2007

Look for 2 things.
1) Does the manual tell you how to disable the onboard video? This must be disabled before any other card can be used.

2) In the Bios, there is a place to active the PCI Palette Snoop. This will allow the motherboard to search and use a PCI video card.

click here is the Bios site. If you have any questions about how to setup the Bios correctly

new user 283 15:57 30 Mar 2007

I dont think it was dropped but one of the pins got bent and the lead was forcibly pushed in and dislodged the socket.

I have checked the manual and there is no mention of disabling the onboard video other than thruogh the bios which I cant access due to there being no display

Technotiger 16:08 30 Mar 2007

When the socket was dislodged that might have caused other problems internally - just grasping at straws now I'm afraid.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:11 30 Mar 2007

Bit of a catch 22 situation.

Can you resolder the socket to the motherboard?

£15 click here

new user 283 16:22 30 Mar 2007

I did look at resoldering the socket but most of the pins have broken so I would probably need a new socket.
My friend doesnt really want to spend loads on this machine as it is quite old and has really low specs.
The motherboard that Fruit Bat /\0/\ suggested would be £28, and you could get a "new" base unit for not much more, and with better specs.
I will suggest this to them as there doesn't seem be be much hope for the Time computer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The 12 best apps for drawing and painting on your iPad

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?