Fault finding - Electronics

spuds 17:00 25 Oct 2008

Can anyone lead me to an informative but simple to understand website,cd/dvd, book tutorial, that covers simple electronic component testing and possible repair procedures?.

Thanks in anticipation.

Technotiger 17:05 25 Oct 2008
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:09 25 Oct 2008

Its a large complicated area can you be more specific?

spuds 17:59 25 Oct 2008

Technotiger, I have already had a browse on Google, but it hasn't come up with a simple answers. I was hoping someone might have something that they have found simple and fairly straightforward.

Fruit Bat. We have a number of mini/midi and off-road motorbikes with electronic/electrical starting and recharging problems. During the winter months we are hoping to do some fault finding and possible rectifications. Most of the items are Chinese built, so spares might be at a premium, if not available in the UK.

We have the testing gear plus soldering iron. ;o)

woodchip 18:33 25 Oct 2008

Electronics is not easy, also fault finding can be even worse. Book is the way I learned By buying them. PS you can also get them on CD's plus check Maplins for some and your Library

chub_tor 18:48 25 Oct 2008

Testing and replacing electronic components and circuits used to be fairly simple. With a multimeter for checking resistors, capacitors, coils and diodes and to a limited extent transistors plus a signal generator and an oscilloscope I managed it for over 40 years. Today however few circuits are designed that way they are all highly integrated and most components are surface mounted requiring very sophisticated equipment for testing and repair.

Check on the construction of your electronic starting and charging boxes to see if they are discrete components or surface mount. If the former you stand a chance and you can learn a lot with a multimeter. Mind you you will still need to know the resistor colour code to find out if any single resistor is the correct value!

woodchip 18:52 25 Oct 2008

and with surface mounted, you can bridge the component if you cut the track on the old

woodchip 18:53 25 Oct 2008

As chub_tor IC's are the headache

spuds 21:21 25 Oct 2008

woodchip, our local library as a very limited and mostly tired out of print stock on the electrical, electronics side. The local Maplins have reduced their book stocks considerably, it was only a short while ago that they were having a book sale, which I apparently missed. The local Borders and The Works also seem to have disappointing stocks on electronics etc.

chub_tor,many many years ago, I use to have a dabble with Tandy kits and components plus amateur and cb radio. But over the years I have forgotten on most of what I learnt at the time. Modern gear is getting more confusing, especially with the throw-away culture, which is a pity really.

chub_tor 21:32 25 Oct 2008

We have a couple of places in Plymouth that sell electronic components as well as Maplins, one of them used to be an old RS components distributor and they still sell a few bits and pieces. The other is Tandy aka Radio Shack, perhaps you have something similar near you. Otherwise it is Amazon or ebay I'm afraid.

PalaeoBill 21:37 25 Oct 2008

You could make a start here:
click here

I also found the SatCure website pretty good.
click here
It is geared to satellite kit but also covers general elecronic. Check out the 'beginners guide to electronics' downloadable book.

I was able to diagnose and repair the power supply in my Digibox via their instructions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie