Fault in Excel 2000

howard63 22:00 12 Jul 2006

Every now and again I realise that the maths are not correct. This morning I had it set to add £91.00 and it added £93.50. The formula was correct [=c2 + d3] and the figure entered was correct £91.00 but the answer was wrong. Once I realised which line was doing it I deleted the formula and entered exactly the same with the correct result. Does anyone know anything that can be done to stop this sort of thing happening. I stress it is just an occasional thing but annoying and time consuming when it happens. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. This installation of office 2000 has been upgraded as far as the office upgrade site can go.

Simsy 22:19 12 Jul 2006

Are there any macros? What is the security level set at?

What are the figures in C2 and D3? Are these figures entered directly, or are they the result of formulae?

Also, Check Tools>Options>Calculation... is the "Precision as displayed" box ticked?

I don't know what the problem is, but I'm sure we can get to the bottom pf it.

Regards,

Simsy

howard63 09:26 13 Jul 2006

Thanks Simsy - I do not use macros - the figures are directly entered and are simple cash amounts - there is no tick in precision as displayed box - not sure what security you are talking about - windows defender - avg - zone alarm and the use of spybot and adaware regularly - win patrol.

Simsy 13:28 13 Jul 2006

I'm talking about, is how Excel deals with Macros...

Tools>macros>Security

If it's set to low, it's possible for a macro to run without you knowing it...

It's possible for a macro to alter the values of cells without you realising. (This would be a deliberate nasty)

I'm clutching a straws a bit!

I've just re-read your first post... can you confirm whether it's morre than one excel file that's misbehaving? Is it misbehaving all the time?

Regards,

Simsy

howard63 14:02 13 Jul 2006

the macro security setting is high - I use excel to do my monthly accounts to check with my bank statement. This does not happen every time but just now and again. I know how difficult this type of event is being an ex electrician looking for intermittent faults. This is almost the only use I have for excel and I have completely redone it to make sure that I have not done anything silly. The only times I notice an error is when I cannot balance the statement. It is probably something I will have to live with. Its just so strange to see the correct figure and correct formula and then get a wrong answer. I used to make mistakes like that when I was at school. Thanks for your interest.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?