Fatal exception 0028:C003B9FB in VxD IOS(01) 98se

Kalitechnis 11:20 01 Jan 2004

In the past few days I have reformatted my HDD and re-installed most of my programs.
Now, on rebooting/shutting down Windows(98se), I get a BSOD with "a fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C003B9FB in VxD IOS(01) & 00000AB3"
It does not happen every time, but pretty often-say 30% of the time.
I have tried taking out all the start-up programs in Msconfig, but this does not stop the fatal exceptions.
I have installed the Windows 98se shutdown patch.
Sys file check comes up with nothing.

I recall having the same (or very similar) FE a long time ago, and seem to recall that a file or 2 needed adding or changing in the Windows\System\Iosubsys directory.
I have searched the net (the exact message, and shortened versions) endlessly, with no results, though I'm sure I found the cure to the previous FE on the net.

Please can anyone help me with this?

Many thanks for any advice.
And a very Happy New Year to all,

Rayuk 11:58 01 Jan 2004

Is this what you are after look under
"Windows 98 driver bugs"
click here

Gongoozler 11:59 01 Jan 2004

Have a look at this site click here. I think item 6 describes your error message.

Kalitechnis 12:41 01 Jan 2004

Gongoozler and Rayuk,

My thanks for your links..
Gongoozler, I have seen that FE link, but I dont have a scssi printer, plus it's a Win95 error. Thanks all the same.

Rayuk, I shall try your links' advice, will advise on success or lack thereof.

Cheers,

K

Big Elf 13:24 01 Jan 2004

Also see click here and this MS article click here

Big Elf 13:26 01 Jan 2004

After reading what you first posted again the MS link suggests the following:

"To resolve this issue, rename the Sb16.vxd file in the Windows\System\Iosubsys folder."

Kalitechnis 15:35 01 Jan 2004

Well, I think I have found the culprit...Nero Burning. I uninstalled it and there have been no repeats of the Fatal Exception after about 20 reboots..touch wood I have got it sorted!

Thanks for all help,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?