Fatal error message at boot up. Help please, thank

bof:) 21:05 13 Jul 2008

Hi all, a good friend has a PackardBell, EasynoteS laptop. It is running WindowsXP Home.

When he tries to start up he gets the following message:

STOP:c000021a [fatal System Error] the Windows Logon process system process terminated unexpectedly. With a Status of 0c0000005 (0x00000000 x00000000) The syetem has shut down.

He gets the same message if he tries to run in Safe Mode.

Any help would be vastly appreciated.

Unfortunatly my friend is at the other end of the country to myself so any instructions have to be given to him without being able to see his PC screen.

Many thanks,

Mike

VoG II 21:20 13 Jul 2008

Try Last Known Good Configuration instead of Safe Mode.

bof:) 22:21 13 Jul 2008

Hi VoG™, tried what you suggested and got the same message as before, Fatal Error Message etc.

There is an option of Disable Automatic restart on System Failure, should he try this?

Thank you for your help.

Mike

VoG II 22:30 13 Jul 2008

Try a repair click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:31 13 Jul 2008

Corrupt windows logon

Either do a repair with a XP CD
1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

or
Restore from recovery console / or linux live cd

boot from the XP CD. Start Windows Setup and press R to access the recovery console. Select your Windows installation, then type the administrator password – press Enter if there isn't one.
Now enter the following commands:

CD C:\
CD "system volume information\_resto~1"
DIR

You'll see a list of restore point folders with names such as RP1, RP2 and so on. Pick the restore point you wish to use, using the folder date stamps to guide you. Enter the commands:

CD RPx (the restore point you chose)
CD SNAPSHOT

This takes you into the folder containing the restore point snapshot files. Copy the Registry backups so that they overwrite the existing Registry files.

COPY _Registry_machine_system C:\Windows\System32\Config\System
COPY _Registry_machine_software C:\Windows\System32\Config\Software
COPY _Registry_machine_sam C:\Windows\System32\Config\Sam
COPY _Registry_machine_security C:\Windows\System32\Config\Security
COPY _Registry_user_.default C:\Windows\System32\Config\Default

Type the command exit to close the Recovery Console and restart the PC.

bof:) 23:10 13 Jul 2008

Thank you both for you fast response, I'll check with my friend to see if he had an XP cd with his laptop.

Many thanks,

Mike

ronalddonald 23:31 13 Jul 2008

forget to tell your friend to back up personal files onto a pen drive or external drive, b4 proceeding with fruitbat's good advise

bof:) 10:14 14 Jul 2008

Hi all, thankyou for that ronalddonald, I'll mentionit to my friend, it's amazing how many people forget.

I have something else I need to check with you all as well.

Am I right in thinking, that if my friend can only get hold of a WindowsXP and not the CD disc that came with his Packard Bell laptop. When he does the repair, he will loose all of his settings for everything Packard bell on the laptop?

Mike

bof:) 19:58 16 Jul 2008

Hi all, I checked out the Packard Bell website and it said pressing the F11 button would enable a Partial Recovery.

This has now been done and my friends laptop is now up and running.

A very BIG thankyou everyone's help in solving this problem.

Mike

katkins 20:04 17 Jul 2008

Bof: "Hi all, I checked out the Packard Bell website and it said pressing the F11 button would enable a Partial Recovery."
-------------

Just for my records, can you advise me as to what link in F11 PB advised you to click as mine's a PB as well?

Thanks!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?