fatal error at install, or uninstall

Nightmanager 12:02 10 Jul 2006

I have tried to install a Norton Internet Security 2004 disk onto a new computer and due to a fatal error, can neither complete an installation, nor use Add/Remove programs to uninstall the software. I did initially start installing an older 2000 version of the same software, before aborting, once I realised it was an older version. What has gone wrong and what can I do to overcome the problem?

Regards Greg

VoG II 12:07 10 Jul 2006

Try click here=

Nightmanager 13:02 10 Jul 2006

Thanks VoG, I have managed to uninstall all parts of Norton Antivirus, but now I just get a message telling me that I can't get past the very first stages on the installation due to an error, but does not give any details. I still have until 05-Apr-2007 until this version of Norton is out of date and needs renewing, otherwise I would use a different antivirus, or shall I cut my losses and go for a free one like AVG?

Regards Greg

keef66 13:36 10 Jul 2006

I'd avoid a lot of hassle if I were you and go for AVG.

Even if you manage to install Norton, you've only got 9 months before it starts demanding money with menaces.

namtas 13:55 10 Jul 2006

After using the Norton removal tool, run a cleaner such as CCleaner, and then do a search for norton or Symantec and manual remove all folder or file references. Do not use this manual deletion method if you have any other Norton or Symantec programs in use on your PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?