"Fatal error during installation" message

Creditman 22:11 27 Aug 2008

PC keeps on trying to install a new photoprinter - I've had it for months & it works fine - & shows this fatal error message during installation. Device Manager shows my 2 printers installed & working ok. It did show a copy of one of them which I uninstalled some weeks ago, but it keeps returning. Apparently linked to this is the image of an revolving hourglass in the centre of screen which disappears when clicked but keeps returning.I waste so much time on these interuptions. Any ideas how to get rid of theses problems ? Many thanks (Windows XP Home SP2)

RFB 22:27 27 Aug 2008

Perhaps you can stop it via msconfig?
Start... Run... type msconfig in the box then click ok... select startup then untick the offending program.

Good luck.

RFB

Creditman 21:57 28 Aug 2008

Thanks. I followed your advice as far as selecting startup, but then I have no idea which of the listed programs may be at fault & I am very reluctant to start a process of elimination since I really don't know what I'm doing. I would welcome any further suggestions....

provider 2 22:23 28 Aug 2008

Duplicated registry entries, perhaps?

You can run this tool and have a look without having to fiddle around with the registry yourself: click here

rdave13 22:24 28 Aug 2008

Try reinstalling the one you uninstalled. Then uninstall using it's own uninstaller.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Illustrator Mariana Rodrigues' beautiful flora and fauna for Bombay Sapphire gin

How to remove Mac ransomware

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?