Fatal ERROR, Clusters, NTLDR

Braniff 08:14 07 Dec 2009

My Acer Aspire laptop, 3 1/2 years old has been running slow until it froze completely and said "fatal error". When I put it on again it said something about a disk error and then did a scan lasting 7 hours saying it found bad cluster files all over the place and was deleting some and replacing others.
Now when I put it on it says "missing NTLDR". I cannot so much as play a cd on it and the battery will no longer charge.
I had been meaning to replace it and did so yesterday with an Acer Aspire 7738G. I had most of my files saved to USBs and disks, but I would like to retrieve some bits ands bobs from the old one, am I kidding my self?

rawprawn 08:23 07 Dec 2009

See if this helps you, if you have access to another computer
click here

mgmcc 08:24 07 Dec 2009

If you have a working PC running XP, burn the two files NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM to a CD and see if you can boot the Laptop with that.

The two files are in the root of "C" drive, but you need to set Windows Explorer to show hidden files & folders and also protected operating system files.

If this has worked, you can then copy the two files into the same location in the Laptop. Unfortunately, that error message can often indicate something more seriously wrong than just the missing file.

Braniff 11:08 07 Dec 2009

The old one is XP, new one Windows 7. Could the old one need a new part?
Does anyone know how to get my Outlook Express on my new PC? I am with Virgin and don't like to access email on their site, constantly having to sign in. I want my Outlook like I had it but I have no icon for it on the new PC. I have rang them but am left on hold until the phone rings off!
I have followed their online instructions but it is impossible as I have no icon.

Woolwell 11:20 07 Dec 2009

Outlook Express has been replaced in Vista and 7. You will need to download Windows Live Mail if not already present.

mgmcc 11:25 07 Dec 2009

There is no email program already installed in Windows 7. If you have access to a PC running "Vista", the Windows Mail files can be copied from there into Windows 7, otherwise you can install a program such as Mozilla Thunderbird.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone