Fat32 versus NTFS - advice please.

Kenneth-266656 12:47 13 Nov 2004

I am considering the purchase of a 80Gb USB2 external hard drive for backup purposes. Because I have many projects archived from years back when NTFS wasn't around I am currently still using Fat32. A lot of the files are Serif Page Plus with graphical inserts. These graphics and photos are stored in another file as Serif does not keep them in Page Plus. If I move a graphic file to another folder and then run the Page Plus file its associated with I get a dialog box come up saying that it can't be found and is the file path correct. If I wanted to do this on a permanent basis I could change the filepath so from that point of view - no problem. What worries me is if I convert to NTFS will this all be picked up with no problem. I have no problem whatsoever with disc space either on my main drive or what will be the temporary drive if I go ahead and purchase it. Is it worth changing over to NTFS - a BIG advantage only please or is it just as well to stick with Fat32 - with which I've had no problems.

VoG II 12:53 13 Nov 2004

click here

I don't think you would have any problems.

Danoh 13:16 13 Nov 2004

Sounds like you are a home user with a majority of FAT32 files. Agree qwith VoG™; stick with FAT32 as you can always convert to NTFS later (but not the other way round).

ton 15:49 13 Nov 2004

No big advantage.

If you have no problems with Fat32, stay with it.

ton 15:51 13 Nov 2004

I meant to add 'if it aint broke, don't fix it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires