FAT32 to NTFS will it affect my reboot partition

paully01 18:40 11 May 2005

I have a 160 Gigabyte HD as FAT32 & I would like to change to NTFS as this will remove the 4GB limit on files. My operating system is pre-loaded onto my pc & I am concerned that if I change I may lose this or access to it if I ever need to reload the O/S.
Can I safely convert without affecting this part of the HD or would it be best to just partition the drive & convert one part to NTFS? & is the partition wizard in XP good enough to do this?

joseph K 19:45 11 May 2005

This is a little bit of a risky business, data can go missing etc. Also, should you decide to have one NTFS partition and one FAT32 partition you will not be unable to copy from the NTFS drive onto the FAT32 drive. Although if you are sure that you won't want to swop anything in this direction then I think I would tend to put up a partition.

In theory there is no reason why you shouldn't swop the entire drive from FAT32 to NTFS as you obviously know, it's really a matter of risk assesment.

I believe the wizard will only allow to to transfer 4 gigs. anyway (if my memory serves me well - I tried it last year - hopeless). You need something like 'Acronis Partition Magic', or 'Powerquest Partition Magic' to enable you to transfer any more than this.

joseph K 19:52 11 May 2005

Looking again at your question, it certainly shouldn't effect your reboot partition, as this is not going to be effected by the primary/logical partition that you are proposing to alter.

paully01 17:26 12 May 2005

Joseph Thanks I'll look to get 'Acronis Partition Magic' to do this read article that it was very good. Did you find that you had any problems with speed of your pc once you'd changed to NTFS? as i read in another thread that it had affected some users

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?