FAT to NTFS

podlod 11:30 08 May 2008

Hi, last year I bought a EXT Hard Drive and made a back up of everything on my PC, and when I looked after it had completed, I opened up my Norton Back up files in the actual EXT HD and it all seems in perfect order, it even asked me if I wanted to recover any files. The prob being here is when I bought this EXT drive ( being Western Digital drive )I did not know about formatting from FAT to NTFS which is what I have and I don't remember doing this task, does that mean if I try to recover my files they will not return? Thanks for any help.

Technotiger 11:35 08 May 2008

A Windows utility called CONVERT will change your drive to NTFS ...

Go to the Command Prompt and execute the command:

C:\> CONVERT C: /fs:ntfs

Where C: is a name of the drive you want to convert.

After a re-boot conversion process will start and you'll have your FAT32 converted to NTFS without any loss of data.

Technotiger 11:37 08 May 2008

Before doing the convert, have a look at your drive's Properties, that will tell you whether it is already NTFS or not.

podlod 16:00 08 May 2008

Hi, I already have NTFS, I want to know is can I retrieve my info that I have backed up to my EXT drive that is on it already even though it says i can, because I do not remember formatting from FAT to NTFS when I bought the EXT Hard drive ?

Technotiger 16:07 08 May 2008

Have a look at your External Drives Properties to see if it is NTFS (it probably is), which is what I meant above.

Ditch999 16:13 08 May 2008

If you have XP or Vista it wont matter if its FAT32 or NTFS - they will see both.

podlod 08:26 31 May 2008

Hi, thanks all for your help, much appreciated!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?