fat 32 to ntfs error

sputnick 10:57 11 Jun 2006

I have just tried converting my external drive from fat32 to ntfs as Monument suggests in a previous thread but in the window I get a message that there were errors that would not be fixed as I needed to use
/f parameter.
Can anyone please explain.

Eric10 11:39 11 Jun 2006

I would think that your error message actually referred to running CHKDSK which has an /F parameter to repair the disk. However, you can run the repair from within Windows. Double-click 'My Computer' and right-click on your external drive then choose 'Properties'. Click the 'Tools' tab and then click the 'Check Now' button in the error checking section. In the next dialogue box put a tick in both of the check boxes then click 'Start'. Windows will now scan the drive and repair any bad sectors. Depending on how large your drive is, this can take quite a long time and goes trough 5 phases but when it has finished you should be able to convert your drive to NTFS.

Eric10 12:04 11 Jun 2006

Just a small correction. When you run a repair on your system disk you need to schedule the scan for when you restart Windows and this scan does run through 5 phases. However I have just run a scan on my external drive and it only had 2 phases.

sputnick 16:42 11 Jun 2006

Many thanks.
All worked althought it took hours to do a full disk error check, but I know it`s ok and converted to ntfs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?