Fat 32 to Ntfs

carper 19:53 31 Dec 2006

I am trying to convert my laptop from Fat32 to Ntfs.
I have reached the convert stage and get the message "enter the current volume label". I have gone to my computer and have entered the amounts shown when I hover the pointer over drive but I keep getting the message "incorrect volume entered for this drive. Can anyone point me in the right direction. I have also entered the amounts provided by Belarc advisor. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,Regards Carper

mark2 19:58 31 Dec 2006

You need to enter the volume LABEL ie name of the drive, if you open windows explorer, what is the drive called ?

bremner 20:00 31 Dec 2006

I do not know how you are trying to convert but all you need to do is type

convert c: /fs:ntfs at the command prompt where C is the volume you want to convert.

bremner 20:02 31 Dec 2006
  mgmcc 08:22 01 Jan 2007

Right click your "C" drive and select Properties. By default, the box containing the drive's name (the VOLUME LABEL) will be highlighted. Enter that exactly when prompted.

Alternatively, you can delete the name in the drive's Properties, so there is no VOLUME LABEL, and just leave the field blank when performing the conversion.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:23 01 Jan 2007

To convert your drives to NTFS:
Right click on 'my computer' and select 'manage'
From the computer management window, expand storage and select 'disk management.'
Using the 'file system' column of the upper pane of this window, you can easily check what file system each of your logical drives is using. Make a note of this information.
Now open a command prompt window by going to 'start\run' and typing 'cmd'
To convert a disk to NTFS, type 'convert (drive letter): /fs:ntfs'
So for example, if you were going to convert your C: drive, you would type 'Convert c: /fs:ntfs' at the prompt.

carper 13:40 01 Jan 2007

Thanks all for your replies, before I go ahead I have a further associated query. I have a drive listed as D as well as my drive C and assume this is a partition holding my recovery programmes. Is it safe to also convert this drive Thanks again Carper

T0SH 13:47 01 Jan 2007

Do not make any changes to a recovery partition , also check with the system maker on the implications for the system recovery of changing the C drive from FAT to NTFS

Cheers HC

ed-0 13:59 01 Jan 2007

Is it a acer laptop?

carper 14:55 01 Jan 2007

ed-0 Yes

carper 14:57 01 Jan 2007

Tosh. Maker has a FAQ which says "Why is the model shipped with Fat 32 and the gives details of how to change it and I then came to the label problem.
Carper

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone