Fastest setup for OS and Photoshop

erkmatrix 10:56 19 Dec 2009

Which is the best faster setup for running Photoshop CS4 for the drive with my OS on and a dedicated photoshop scratch drive. when I've got a Intel X25-M 80GB drive and a VelociRaptor 300 GB which would be best way around.

Another question is if I bought the AMD Radeon HD 5850 and a couple of todays current games would that work on my spec machine as it is or would I need a better setup altogether.

Here's my current spec machine

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0 GHz 4Mb Cache
6Gb Corsair Memory DDR 800
500GB SATA Hard Drive partitioned 100GB as Photoshop Scratch disk
8025-C43 Midi
Atrix 720Watt Silent Dual Fan
768Mb Nvidia 8800GTX graphics card DX10
QC - Gigabyte N680iSLI-DQ6-1333fsb-DDR1066x4 SLI (Dual graphics)
DVD+/- RW - 18X Samsung Lightscribe
X-Discovery Case
windows 7 64bit premium

Cheers

GaT7 14:46 19 Dec 2009

I don't know about the CS4 running, but the HD 5850 should be fine with your spec. The PSU is a bit of a concern though. What are its +12V ratings, & does it have the required 2x dedicated 6pin PCI-E connectors?

Also note that this card is long, ~9.5" with a little to add on for the PCI-E power connectors - get a better idea at click here. G

erkmatrix 15:21 19 Dec 2009

Cheers Crossbow7

Have no idea about the +12 ratings or what that means but if its a large card it won't fit my case, its snug as it is. My current card should still play games shouldn't it but just not at the highest levels.

I'll leave the card till I can get a new PC rig next year or the year after.

Anyone else know which the best setup for having my OS and dedicated photoshop cs4 scratch drive please.

GaT7 15:28 19 Dec 2009

For future reference perhaps...

The +12V ratings will be printed on the PSU label, & they usually come in dual (2) or quad (4) rails. As an example this PSU click here has dual +12V rails of 25A each.

Another key ingredient you require is 2x dedicated 6pin PCI-E connectors.

Regarding the lengthy GPU & concerns over whether it'll fit or not, you can always measure the space you have with a ruler or tape measure. G

john bunyan 16:36 19 Dec 2009

I have a lower spec than you with CS4 and Windows 7 64 bit - a 320 gig hd, partitioned C: 50 gig for system and balance F: for data (about 200 g spare on that. I have 4 gig RAM (Max on my motherboard). In CS4, preferences, you can set the scratch disc(s) order - I specify my F: drive first, then C:. You could have an external HD as well , but the need for that much scratch disc seems remote unless you open many large photos at once.For now I would specify first scratch disc as your dedicated one then the rest of your data disc as the second one. Incidentally I have found that the Twain interface for scanners is not available in CS4 64 bit so I scan in 32bit and then work on photos in 564 bit (Confirmed by Adobe tech support)

john bunyan 16:37 19 Dec 2009

sorry meant 64 bit in last line!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?