fastest pc

vectradam 18:54 30 Dec 2008

what are the steps to the fastest pc possible after a re format. i will re install xp

bluto1 20:54 30 Dec 2008

My tuppence worth is keep it clean. Provided you have maximum RAM, maximum CPU for your machine, It should run at IT'S fastest.
Keeping it clean includes, say, 3 monthly physical cleaning inside the case.
One other thing, if you fill your HDD(s) too full you'll have a "funeral" on your hands, it'll be so slow.

Belatucadrus 12:25 31 Dec 2008

I concur, keep things lean and focused. Don't load stuff you don't need, kill any surplus stuff showing in the taskbar.
One thing you can try if you value speed over appearance is to Right click "My Computer" select "Properties" from the dropdown menu and select the "advanced" tab from the resulting System Properties window. Click the "Settings" button in the "Performance" section, this opens a new window called "Performance Options" Go to the Visual Effects tab and select "Adjust for best performance". This will leave you with a somewhat spartan W9X style appearance, but will free up a teeny iota of performance.

Pineman100 17:22 31 Dec 2008

I find that one of the biggest factors in slowing down a machine is your choice of security software. Go for something lightweight like NOD32
click here, or free software like AVG Free click here plus Zone Alarm click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?