Fastest mobile CPU? ULV, Atom or Neo 2 ?

je-haz 17:40 08 Aug 2010

Hi.

I am looking to get a 13" Win7 laptop for around £400. I want to be able to watch movies on it which I know a lot of mobile chips struggle with.

I have found 2 options but each has a different chip, and I dont know which is best.

There is the Intel ULV Pentium Dual Core 4100 (1.3mhz) click here
Then there is the AMD Athlon Neo X2 Dual-Core click here

Surely the ULV is slower than even the Atom since the clock speed is less?
Which CPU is best? please help.

woodchip 17:50 08 Aug 2010

atom is a Netbook CPU so not very much in power but films can still be watched on it. I have a Samsung nc10 10.1" netbook with Atom cpu that will play DVD film etc. But I have to use a External DVD player as it does not have a Optical drive as there is no space inside the Netbook to put one in

DieSse 17:52 08 Aug 2010

All of those will play movies without a hitch - in fact much older and slower CPUs will play movies without a hitch.

Clock speeds are not the only pointer to CPU performance. How much a processor can do in a clock cycle, how much high speed cache and other design factors, also make a difference.

If t'were me I would be getting the novatech machine out of the two. The ULV processor means lower power consumption - and it's cheaper!

je-haz 18:04 08 Aug 2010

thanks, altho the sainsburys one (hp/neo) is only 379 in store so not much in the price.

is the intel chip faster than the neo?

VOT Productions 20:13 08 Aug 2010

is it HD movies or less

DieSse 20:18 08 Aug 2010

"is the intel chip faster than the neo?"

No idea - is it that critical to you?

je-haz 21:08 08 Aug 2010

hd movies yes.

its critical insomuch as these chips are not that powerful, so really i want the best i can get. i develop software in visual studio/sql server and those are 2 killer applications

DieSse 23:08 08 Aug 2010

"i develop software in visual studio/sql server and those are 2 killer applications"

I would respectfully suggest that you should be looking at something more than a budget laptop then.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone