A Faster Firefox.

iambeavis 20:52 19 Aug 2004

I don't know whether or not this has been on the forum before butI've just come across it tonight click here
- It's a tweak to give Firefox 'go-faster stripes'.

rawprawn 21:04 19 Aug 2004

I'll give it a whirl, thanks.

dagwoood 22:57 19 Aug 2004

Iambeavis, I've been trying different config settings for Firefox and been doing it manually(if you type about:config where you'd type an URL, press return).

If you want an idea of what the different settings do and an idea of the values you can enter, checkout this thread on Mozillazine click here

After playing with different settings, my browser is now a LOT quicker loading pages.

dagwoood.

iambeavis 10:29 20 Aug 2004

Excellent! Thanks for the information. No prizes for guessing what I'll be doing sometime today - no prizes either for guessing who's very likely to be reinstalling Firefox later (I work on the premise that if it can go wrong then it probably will).

keenan 14:01 20 Aug 2004

Thanks, netscape loads pages much faster :)

SEASHANTY 14:29 20 Aug 2004

Mozilla Optimiser 1.6.3. Under Product description under Whats new.... Noted :- d
location of the user profile changed.

On the install of either Mozilla or Firefox it specifically notes that the user profile should not be kept in the same directory as the browser installation due to the fact that previous versions have to be unistalled on upgrading and if installed in same directory then user profile will also be deleted - resulting in having to reset up everything.

I wonder why this appliocation needs to do anything concerning the user profile?

iambeavis 15:04 20 Aug 2004

The concerns raised in your post were given due consideration at the time of download and as usual, an A.V. scan was applied to the downloaded file. After installation another A.V.scan was carried out along with scans by Ad-aware, A² and Spybot - they all came out clear. The 'Read Me' file reveals an answer, of sorts, it also reveals that the programme works along the same lines as dagwood's link which would, in all probability, provide more potential for optimisation than the programme.

andyhuz 18:41 20 Aug 2004

Installed on Firefox 0.9 and the speed gain is immediately noticeable, especially on this site.

Thanks for the tip.

Andy

VoG II 18:49 20 Aug 2004

Thanks! I was skeptical ... but it does seem to work.

SEASHANTY 19:53 20 Aug 2004

OK - it wasn't the fact of a virus or spyware I was
concerned with but the fact that it referred to the profile location. I don't want this shifting elsewhere than where it is already installed and that is not in the same directory as Mozilla.

iambeavis 20:09 20 Aug 2004

This is an extract from the read me text, re. the profile location -
Version 1.6.3 (June 9th, 2004)
- Once again the location of the user profiles has been changed in the
new nightly builds. Since this location probably will stay the same
for Firefox 0.9, Mozilla Optimizer now handles this new situation!
It is a translation from the original German text so, consequently, not as clear as it could be. I may be wrong (nothing new there for me), but I don't see it as too sinister. Fingers crossed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017